Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Reformat Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frankie Knuckles

Frankie Knuckles

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hey Guys, quick question or two

As the title says, I have an old desktop that I want to reformat as I'm giving it to a friend. As it was bought from PC World, it never came with a Windows XP disk, but it does have the product code sticker on it.

My new desktop came with an XP CD, so would I be able to reformat the old computer using the new disk with the old product code or would Microsoft throw a benny and invalidate one or both copies of XP?

If I can reformat, is it just a case of sticking the disk in and choosing from an option or so I set the bios to boot from CD and do it that way. If I can't mix old code and new disk, is my only way around this shelling out for a new copy of XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Assuming your CD is the same type and version, you can use it with the old key. This isn't a recovery CD from the computer mfg, correct? Don't forget the updates afterwards
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:38 AM

If it has a sticker on it (the desktop, I mean) then the XP product key on it is likely an OEM key. As to whether this would work witha non-OEM disk, I'm not sure. Maybe.

Try contacting the manufacturer of the desktop, pretend to be the original owner (just for simplicity's sake) and asking for the restore CD for that model. If they have one and are willing to give it to you, you may only need to pay for postage (but they may also charge a fee).

Installing XP is pretty easy. Here's the MS article about installing XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941
plus you can always ask us for additional help! Go ahead, we like it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users