Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Diagnostics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

I am seriously considering wiping my Hard Drive on a CP 4300US the OS is a WXP-SP1 and I have been unable to
install SP-2, so I am checking the Hard Drive using the SP! Home Edition Complete Hard Drive Diagnostics.

Anyone have any experience with this OS program.

It has been running for 133 Mins, the normal time is 15 to 45 mins.

Any general advice at this point ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

Is the Compaq SP2 compatible? Check their website for issues.

Then, ensure that you get all the driver updates required for SP2. Even if the Compaq site doesn't have updates that are SP2 compatible - you can often download the drivers directly from the manufacturer to get this capability.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

John,

Well I will check into the compatibility as you have advised, but the issue at this time is the present OS HD Condition.

Are you considering that I have switched or replaced the hard drive at on time, . . . .
the WXP-SP1 on this Compaq Presario 4300US may have issues when using there WXP Home Edition installed on their computer to Diagnose the HD using the on board Diag. Program, and if there are issues it is possible it may be do to the fact, that it may not be the Compaq Presario factory Hard Drive ?

I am not sure that you realize the system I am working with here is a WXPHE-SP1, whereby I am trying to prepare the computer for the SP2 installation and will check out your advice.

In any case the Complete Hard Drive Diagnostic has been on for 364 miniutes, it is standing at 80% and not going any further.

I have canceled this and will provide you with some information in the next post.

Edited by Jove, 20 December 2007 - 09:19 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

I am attempting to run>CHKDSK C: /R

I get this screen, is there anyone who can assist me in interpreting this ?

Posted Image

I have run this from a restart, I don't know what it means by another process ?

I try to close it and I have to, Click End Now, otherwise it won't close.

If I type in Y for yes it does nothing ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

If you type in Y for yes and press Enter, it sets the system to run chkdsk at the next boot. So you reboot and it'll run - you don't have to close the window unless you want to. Until you type Y or N and press Enter, the cmd window is still waiting for input and won't close. The reason for this is that Windows is using the drive and won't relinquish control of the drive while Windows is running - so it has to be done on the reboot before Windows loads (and locks the drive for it's own use).

Yes, I did get the fact that this system is an XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1 and that you are attempting to upgrade to Service Pack 2. The most common reasons for failures when attempting to upgrade to SP2 are:
1) BIOS issues (the least common of the 3, but still a concern)
2) Incompatible hardware drivers (drivers that were only designed for SP1 and aren't flexible enough to run under SP2)
3) Malware infections.

Edited by usasma, 21 December 2007 - 08:25 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

If you type in Y for yes and press Enter, it sets the system to run chkdsk at the next boot. So you reboot and it'll run - you don't have to close the window unless you want to. Until you type Y or N and press Enter, the cmd window is still waiting for input and won't close. The reason for this is that Windows is using the drive and won't relinquish control of the drive while Windows is running - so it has to be done on the reboot before Windows loads (and locks the drive for it's own use).

Yes, I did get the fact that this system is an XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1 and that you are attempting to upgrade to Service Pack 2. The most common reasons for failures when attempting to upgrade to SP2 are:
1) BIOS issues (the least common of the 3, but still a concern)
2) Incompatible hardware drivers (drivers that were only designed for SP1 and aren't flexible enough to run under SP2)
3) Malware infections.

usama,
you are one of the good guys, I read the first sentence, I really could have used that yesterday, before I pulled out the HD and now have it in an External Enclosure it has never worked better.

It was starting to make some noises, where it was, so I am putting it to some good use now, and am hoping to clear up some problems with this CP-5300US.

I qouted you here as to just to compliment your efforts, thanks alot.

What I did do with that HD and its status at this time you will find here, I'm just now going to it since my BC e-m notification seems to be down these last few days.

BleepingComputer.com > Hardware > Internal Hardware
Removing Compaq 4300us Hd, Need Help

BleepingComputer.com > Hardware > Internal Hardware
Removing Compaq 4300us Hd, Need Help

(That needs to be corrected it is a 4400US)

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users