Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Bold Enough For This-------not Me.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

Windows XP SP3 RC is ready for download to everyone. Would like to see pros and cons of this service pack for those brave enough to go there.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl..._OS&nlid=41
X

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:13 PM

Even though the release candidate can be installed by anyone running XP SP2, Microsoft warned off casual users from trying the preview. "As this is a release candidate, we strongly encourage only those who are comfortable installing pre-release code to download Windows XP SP3," said the spokeswoman.

"we strongly encourage only those who are comfortable installing pre-release code to download Windows XP SP3,"

Was all I needed to see to know I am not about to play with my stable XP system right now.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

If I had my old computer-the one that died last week-I'd bite the bullet and try it. But with this new one-it ain't gonna happen.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

Just did it on my XP VM - I'll see what happens! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Whew, good luck usasma! :thumbsup:

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:30 AM

Just did it on my XP VM - I'll see what happens! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I did that with one of the earlier beta releases. Nothing broke, but nothing really seemed to have changed. :flowers:

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

I really don't see what all the rush is about. Installing pre-releases (especially from MS) is problematic at best, since these may contain bugs or only a portion of the final release, which one would then have to install anyway.
Unless one enjoys testing software and working through some potential bugs, troubleshooting, and finding work-arounds, it seems to be a waste of time, not to mention dangerous for most users.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

I agree.

Betas and pre-release software and operating systems aren't meant for the masses.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

I'll await usasma's review, I got confidence in him :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, I did that with one of the earlier beta releases. Nothing broke, but nothing really seemed to have changed. :thumbsup:

Yeah that's what I thought when I read this about SP3. Seems it's mostly an accumalation of the hundreds of updates and fixes for XP since it's first release. It's not the major upgrade SP2 was.
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp
X

#11 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

I don't think I'm going to bother with SP3.
But say when SP3 is out of beta will people have to eventually have to take the plunge and get SP3?

I hope not because I quiet like SP2 and I really don't want SP3 which will be dead weight on my system because I always install my updates.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

From what I've read on the web, SP3 is mostly a bunch of security patches along with some upgrades to the networking stack. I doubt that anyone will notice any drastic improvements with it. And I suspect that it's value will be like that of SP2 - it saves you from stepping through the interminable Windows Updates one-by-one. At last count I saw 115 updates available for systems with a fresh install of SP1 that was upgraded to SP2. That's a lot of sitting around for one person - especially if they're on dial-up! :flowers:

Beta testing isn't for those who are faint of heart - a badly written program can hose your system just as surely as using a registry cleaner every day! But there are benefits to it. You get to interact with the folks who actually wrote the program, you usually get a copy of the final release as long as you've participated, you usually get invited to the next round of beta testing, you get the benefit of having new stuff before almost anyone else, and you get more experience with fixing your system after the beta breaks it! :thumbsup:

I started with beta testing because the available programs just didn't do what I wanted. I stumbled upon BetaNews and was hooked! Since then, as opportunities have presented themselves, I've enrolled in bigger and better (hopefully) projects - both Open Source and commercial ventures.

The drawback is that your system breaks - unexpectedly. And normal troubleshooting may not fix it. Leaving you with the only option being a format and reinstall (and that's how I became interested in disk imaging programs - to reduce the downtime when I hosed my system!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

Now if only we could get some free versions of Adobe After effects or the like for free when we "helped" the beta version along. That stuff is so expensive.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

I suspect that it's value will be like that of SP2 - it saves you from stepping through the interminable Windows Updates one-by-one. At last count I saw 115 updates available for systems with a fresh install of SP1 that was upgraded to SP2. That's a lot of sitting around for one person - especially if they're on dial-up! :thumbsup:

Maybe that's why they killed Autopatcher? :flowers:

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

From what I've read on the web, SP3 is mostly a bunch of security patches along with some upgrades to the networking stack. I doubt that anyone will notice any drastic improvements with it. And I suspect that it's value will be like that of SP2 - it saves you from stepping through the interminable Windows Updates one-by-one. At last count I saw 115 updates available for systems with a fresh install of SP1 that was upgraded to SP2. That's a lot of sitting around for one person - especially if they're on dial-up! :thumbsup:

Isn't that the point of Service Packs originally? Just a roll-up of all the patches so you don't have to download them separately and reboot the computer all the time. SP2 was an aberration.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users