Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't See Image Name In Processes Tab

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joelpac

joelpac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

For some reason I cannot now see the Image Name of any process running in Task Manager (everything was fine yesterday). When I click on 'View' and then 'Select Columns' the 'Image Name' box is checked, but dimmed and I have no idea how this happened or how to fix it. I'm worried that there is some virus or malware app that doesn't want me to see it's image name. I downloaded Process Explorer and can't see anything out of the ordinary, but I'm a little paranoid as somehow my credit card number was recently compromised. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jackiechrist

jackiechrist

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

Download HijackThis and then try there u can c the processes list.Just scan and send the log file, then may be we can guess....

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

Well...the easiest way to access anyone's credit card number...is to find a receipt or bill which has been discarded/misplaced, etc.

I would not see that alone as any indication of system compromise, either mine or any of the many vendors who might have a digital record of such.

Louis

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

Hi joelpac,

Welcome to BleepingComputer. :thumbsup:

If you choose to follow jackiechrist's advice, please follow the instructions in this post: Start here. HJT logs may only be posted into our HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum and analyzed by a member of our HJT Team. The Start Here topic is designed to help remove malware from your computer - if that is suspected.

Have you recently downloaded any software, or music from a p2p service? Has anything changed from the day when all was well until now? Are you receiving any error messages when using programs?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

Give this a shot, Task Manager reset settings from Ramesh's site. Scroll down to XP's tips and fixes. This is a .reg file. Save it to your desktop and select merge from the drop down menu. Click yes to merge the file into the registry. Reboot the computer for the fix to take effect.
Here's the site -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users