Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Version 1.5 Or 1.4?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

I'm getting a new computer and I'm trying to decide if I should install Spybot 1.5 or stick with 1.4 (which is what I use now). (I still have the .exe for 1.4.)

They still have updates for 1.4 -- and I know when 1.5 came out, there were *a lot* of issues with it. (And i seem to remember that one of them was if you want to uninstall it, it was problematic... but I might be remembering wrong.)

I'm hesitant to install 1.5 on my new computer, as I'm used to 1.4 and I'm fearful it will cause issues (just based on all the issues that were prevalent when 1.5 first came out). But if 1.4 doesn't really do anything any longer, then...

Any thoughts about all of this are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

I felt the same way about 1.3 but you couldn't update the definitions and immunizations

There's little use in the program then

I use SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition mostly now, after reading about it here

but that reminds me I need to update the immunizations in spybot myself

:thumbsup:

Edited by DaChew, 20 December 2007 - 12:12 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:18 PM

I'm sticking with 1.4 until they stop updating it. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

I almost found myself moving to 1.5 by default, when they sent the upgrade along as part of the usual weekly updates - but I stopped the install. I wouldn't install on top of 1.4 anyway - that seems to have caused more than its fair share of problems, despite being recommended on the Spybot forum.

I share your uneasiness. If you look at the Spybot forum, a significant number of people are still having problems with 1.5, and I don't want to join them. So I too am sticking with 1.4 at present, while keeping an eye on developments. (If they stop offering updates for 1.4, of course, I'd have to rethink.)

Edited by Alan D, 17 February 2008 - 03:14 PM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

I'm right there with you. Please post back if you ever see/feel that it's worth updating to 1.5! :thumbsup:

(I know there are others here on the board that are in the same mind as us concerning sticking with 1.4 as long as they have updates for it...)

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

you do not need to do the update at present; just ignore it when the weekly take- on comes up ; many have on -going problems with spybot and its apparent new version as the spybot forum vividly demonstrates

suggest you keep the 1.4 exe safe on your computer for 'a rainy day' when the program goes apeship and needs a fresh install :flowers:

also; one has wondered if the newer version is kinda incompatible ( or getting that way ) with the earlier windows versions :thumbsup:

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

I've got the original .exe for 1.4 safe and sound on my hard drive and on disc! :thumbsup:

#8 MN2006

MN2006

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

I did get the new version, I updated the original one and than it started to do the upgrade thing so I thought I had to do it. I did and there is this resident that acts as a firewall I think that comes with it. I shut it off though. Can I go back to the one I had before? I shut the resident thing off but it takes awhile before it doe go off and it coems up saying it blocked something. I like the older version better.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

Hello MN2006,

The old version had that "resident thing" too. It is called Tea-Timer. You can reinstall the new version without it if you wish.

Incidentally, it does not act as a firewall, it alerts you to registry changes which is very useful to protect against malware changing the registry. If you are installing programs or updating programs, you can shut it off during that time.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

I'm right there with you. Please post back if you ever see/feel that it's worth updating to 1.5

I was shocked to discover today that not only is AdAware 2007 no longer recommended at MVPs.org, but also Spybot 1.5 has joined it, though apparently for a different reason. See here, and scroll down to 'Freeware antispyware products'. Maybe it's the end of an era....

Edited by Alan D, 22 February 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

I went back to 1.4. For some reason I couldn't find my way around 1.5 and it wasn't any faster scanning, IMO. You can update 1.4 manually.

Just go here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

You can save the download to your computer and install the newest detection updates.

Then look at the tools and library updates below them. They are for 1.4 only. I took a snapshot picture of that page so I can compare the release dates, in case they are ever updated again.

I also have a backup folder with version 1.4 and the 1.4 specific files for easy reinstalls.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:39 AM

Anyone interested in a copy of the 1.4 version of Spybot, can get it here:
Spybot
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

due to poor testing results this product is no longer recommended.

1.4 isn't going to detect better than 1.5 ??????????

I am quite pleased with using the sd helper and immunize function, malware is getting harder to remove and detect, I doubt any one program can do the task well without sacrificing safety. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:53 AM

1.4 isn't going to detect better than 1.5 ??????????

Well, we don't know to what 'testing results' they're referring. They may not have been directly related to detection rates.

Edited by Alan D, 23 February 2008 - 04:53 AM.

#15 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, it's been stated to me elsewhere a number of times that Ad-Aware SE and Spybot are useless nowadays... though I'm used to them so I keep on using (and updating) them. Of course, they never find anything -- so either I'm always spyware free (which I'd like to think) or they really aren't doing anything. But I don't have the time or energy to try another program, learn it, and ultimately deal with the various problems/incompatibilities it'll possibly cause on my system (which is usually the way things go with almost anything).

DaChew -- I can't tell if you use 1.4 or 1.5...?

Alan D -- Do you use anything other than Spybot 1.4 and Ad-Aware SE (if you do use that)?

Edited by bloomcounty, 23 February 2008 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users