Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Looking To Buy An Internal Hard Drive..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bar Barrow

Bar Barrow

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

How do I found out if i have IDE or SATA? Also which internal hard drives seem to be the best ones to get? I would like to do so because i have only 1.11 gbs of free space on my computer, and am looking to have at least 4-4.5 gb free to put two games on there.

I was looking at seagate internal. about 250 serial ATA150 (notebook hard drive) whats a note book hard drive? I have an xp

Edited by Bar Barrow, 20 December 2007 - 11:43 AM.

VOLS

-BAR BARROW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:25 PM

Laptop or desktop system?

The system documentation will tell you whether it supports SATA or PATA/IDE drives...or a combination of those two.

Motherboard manuals contain same information.

System make/model/manufacturer?

I don't think there is any such thing as a "best" hard drive, they all seem to work for me. Seagate seems to be a bit cheaper than most these days and I've always had success with their drives.

A good source for buying such online: www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com would be my suggestions.

A notebook hard drive is a drive (2.5 inches in width) that fits laptops/notebook computers. A regular desktop hard drive is 3.5 inches in width and much too large to fit inside a notebook/laptop.

Louis

#3 Bar Barrow

Bar Barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

i have a desktop system

where do i find the documentation? is that a manual that came with the computer because i cannot find that.

its a windows xp home edition version 2002 by dell

could a notebook 2.5 fit in a regular desktop drive?

all the internal ones i've seen at newegg have been note book drives
VOLS

-BAR BARROW

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

Give us the make/model of the computer.
A 2.5 notebook hard drive will fit in a desktop with a conversion kit
Newegg sells tons of 3.5 drives Newegg
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Bar Barrow

Bar Barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:48 AM

where do i find the make/model and thankyou for the link. :thumbsup:
VOLS

-BAR BARROW

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

where do i find the make/model and thankyou for the link. :thumbsup:

Not for the hard drive, the computer. Just so we know if it's IDE or SATA
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Bar Barrow

Bar Barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

isnt the make dell? /Dimension 4300
VOLS

-BAR BARROW

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:41 PM

I believe these are your computer specs. http://support.dell.com
You need a 3.5 internal IDE hard drive. If you're adding this to a computer which already has a hard drive you need to jumper the new drive as slave and the original to master or master with slave present ( whichever is stated on the drive's exterior). Then you will have to format and partition the new drive. Any questions after you get the new drive, just post back and someone will be glad to help
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Uselessoldgit

Uselessoldgit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:05 AM

Hello all! newbie on this site but been around awhile, Bar B. you need an IDE

ATA-66 or ATA-100 Ultra DMA hard drive for your system. You didn't say what you are using it for but it is getting old now, is it worth a new harddrive? The Motherboard is the heart of any computer, not the 'brand' not many actually make components, just assemble them, [usually with dated motherboards and cpu's and preloaded with OS, and other crap you don't need and no O/S or program disc's ] How can anyone download the drivers if they can't get online in the first place? Before you install a new harddrive make sure that you have all of your drivers backed up! At the very least your motherboard drivers On a cd, not the harddrive. I have been there and done that! [many years ago!] Also if you install a second H/D don't format the first one by mistake! done that as well!. Build your own system, it is a lot cheaper and you learn a lot as well. Sorry to make my first post so long, I got carried away. Once I knew nothing about computers and now thanks to a lot of sites like this one and all the friendly guys out there, that suffer 'fools' gladly, maybe remembering, that once, they were the 'fool', I have learnt a lot and still learning.
Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users