Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Spam, And Spammers Spoofing Ids

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

While most of the members here are pretty experienced and savvy about spam, I thought this might be useful information for those who are still fairly new to the internet.

I've been getting some spam at my Yahoo address the last few weeks from someone trying to sell "replicas," "finest replicas," "replica watches," etc. No big deal - they automatically go into my bulk mail folder.

But today I received one that spoofed my ID, which is not an uncommon event for spammers on Yahoo and other free sites. That in and of itself is no big deal either, because the spammer is obviously using an automated system to spoof these usernames, and Yahoo undoubtedly knows this since it happens with a fair amount of regularity and has been for years.

Nonetheless, for two reasons, I think it's a good idea to report this spam (and, in the case of spoofing your ID, fraud) to Yahoo. First, I don't know how Yahoo ultimately handles such spam/spammers, but my concern is that my account might be blocked automatically simply because my ID was spoofed. Second, the more reports Yahoo receives - especially about the same spammer - the better their chances of tracking him or her down.

Here's a link to the page that gives you instructions on how to handle this: "Someone is pretending to be me on Yahoo!. What can I do?" When filling out the incident form, you'll find that the e-mail's full header is requested. For those not familiar with the process, here are the instructions for finding the full headers in your Yahoo mail: "What are headers, and what are my header viewing options?"

If you don't see the referenced "Header link" (annoyingly, the choice is not visible on my account, although it used to be), you can activate full headers by clicking on the Options link near the top right-hand corner of the page. On the next page, select General Preferences under the Management category. In the fourth section, Messages, select the Show all headers on incoming messages radio button, then save your preferences. When you go back and open the e-mail, you'll now see lots of information where you're used to seeing just From, To, and Subject. That's the full header that you can copy and paste into the incident reporting form. Don't forget to switch your preference back, or you'll see this full header on all your incoming e-mails.

Fill out the rest of the incident report form, submit it, and the rest is in Yahoo's hands.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:23 AM

my question would be; have you ever replied TO any spam e mail, or told anyone to NOT send any more of the spam?

do you download any mails to your computer and have you got sufficient and up to date antivirus protection on the computer and other appropriate protection?

I guess you do not use mailwasher?

some readers also doubtless even open and read the spoof e mails :flowers: not a good practice ; just chuck them from server and do NOT reply to any spam; I learnt that lesson the hard way by telling someone to NOT send any more ;THAT e mail addy , (now 'infected') gets constant spam :thumbsup:

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Hi ruby1,

Back in '95 when I first got on the internet and had never heard of spam, I was frustrated by a constant stream of e-mails trying to sell me neckties or some such apparently harmless product. I must have hit "reply" 100 times or so. :trumpet: Oddly - and luckily - enough, it didn't result in additional spam. But that was then, and this is now.

It's been years since I downloaded any e-mail to the computer. I use Yahoo for the most part and even access my ISP e-mail account on the web. In both cases, I receive in plain text only and block any images from being displayed. So I don't need Mailwasher, and yep, I practice excellent internet hygiene in general. (Except I probably don't change my passwords as often as I should.)

some readers also doubtless even open and read the spoof e mails :thumbsup: not a good practice ; just chuck them from server and do NOT reply to any spam; I learnt that lesson the hard way by telling someone to NOT send any more ;THAT e mail addy , (now 'infected') gets constant spam :flowers:

Sorry that happened to you. I generally tend to learn the hard way, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users