Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Says: "there Are Too Many Identical E-mails In Appointed Time".

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bonzodog

bonzodog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

Hi,

After 2 days battling a trojan spambot I'm exhausted and need some help... desperately! I have a question for you, but first some background...

My daughter was using my computer on Monday 17 Dec and got a message within MSN purportedly from a friend inviting her to click on a link within the message. This placed a winRAR file (picture_743-jpeg.zip) in the Received Files folder. She clicked on that and it produced a dialog saying it couldn't open.

In fact some files appeared in C:\WINDOWS/system32 at the time she clicked - all with image icons:
bgnurpt.exe
hc.exe
np.exe
oxhvpfzjp.exe
ctuqpnbkgw.exe

Very soon after Avast started to get excited about emails being sent and threw up dialogs saying: "There are too many identical e-mails in appointed time". It showed the headers of the outgoing messages and it was spam... tons of it.

Then yesterday an MSN contact of mine clicked on a file that appeared in his MSN purportedly from me; btw MSN hadn't even been open my end. This friend runs an IT company and is about as IT-savvy as you can get, and yet he clicked on the file... so I can't be too hard on my 12 year old daughter for being fooled!

I have been trying to stay offline to limit the damage to others but, having read your Preparation Guide, realise I need to be online to download the programs you recommend... though I could download them on another computer and transfer them I guess? There are 4 computers here at home and they are networked, so am somewhat concerned about cross-infection. I'm using one of them now.

Anyway, I have downloaded Ad-Aware but haven't activated it because I couldn't help noticing that there has hardly been one good word said about it since the 2007 version was released.

So my question is this... do you still recommend using Ad-Aware? I ask since I see your Guide was written before the 2007 version was released.

Best regards,

Gray

PS I still have the offending file that my daughter clicked on... would you like me to send it to you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bonzodog

bonzodog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:59 AM

Well, in case anyone is interested in how it turned out... in the absence of any comforting words of wisdom via this blog, I backed up my files, reformatted my hard disk, reloaded Windows, my files and programs and began normal life once more. Not a great way to spend Christmas, but effective. Moral?... make damn sure those in your neck of the woods are careful about what they click on in any chat program, and I wish you many years of trouble-free computing. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users