Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cannot Access My Drives

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 alcastive

alcastive

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:05 AM

hello ppl

i had a virus in the last few days and after updating my CA antivirus i finally managed to clean the infection from my pc, but the problem is after i cleaned it, when i try to access my drives (C, D) an open with box appear instead!
i ran a windows registry fixer but it didn't do the job

any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:30 AM

Try right clicking on the drive and selecting Explore.

Then, see if you can locate a file in the root directory of these drives named Autorun.inf (you may need to view hidden and system files). If you find it rename it to something else.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:39 AM

I cannot even explore but i can access them by clicking on the folders in the upper tab, i have shown my hidden files but yet i cannot find autorun.inf but guess what i made a new folder and tried to rename it to autorun.inf i got an error saying that it already exist! but i cannot see it!

what can i do in this case?

and thanks for the help

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:44 AM

Hey alcastive, just a recomendation, you shouldnt use a registry cleaner for problems like that because it may make the problem worse, cause other problems or mess up your system, just some advice thats all. Also, try a system restore (But, it may bring back the virus!) so then try and scan for viruses again untill it is deleted then once the virus is deleted you could see if you can open the Hard Drives again.

Edited by dgraziani28, 20 December 2007 - 04:44 AM.

#5 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:48 AM

Hey alcastive, just a recomendation, you shouldnt use a registry cleaner for problems like that because it may make the problem worse, cause other problems or mess up your system, just some advice thats all. Also, try a system restore (But, it may bring back the virus!) so then try and scan for viruses again untill it is deleted then once the virus is deleted you could see if you can open the Hard Drives again.

Thx for the recommendation, i tried system restore but yes as u said it brings back the virus so i undo my restoration, and the virus scan removed totally the virus and detect nothing in the second scan.

Edited by alcastive, 20 December 2007 - 04:49 AM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:51 AM

In Explorer go Tools > Folder Options > View tab and uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:53 AM

So you did a system restore and went back and removed the virus again right? Can you open the drives now or does the problem still occur?

#8 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:01 AM

In Explorer go Tools > Folder Options > View tab and uncheck Hide protected operating system files.

nothing happened and i just noticed something when i choose show hidden files and apply the changes won't apply
i enter again the settings and i change them but nothing happen (this is happening on 2 pc's) :thumbsup:

#9 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:03 AM

So you did a system restore and went back and removed the virus again right? Can you open the drives now or does the problem still occur?

when i restored i got the virus and when i tried to click on C the virus name appeared with the CA warning that's why i undo my restoration

Edited by alcastive, 20 December 2007 - 05:04 AM.

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:03 AM

Hey alcastive, did this problem happen before the virus was removed?

#11 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:06 AM

before the virus removed i can access my drives but with a virus warning from CA i close it (the warn and then access)

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:13 AM

Just so you know and if it helps in some way I also have CA. Also, what is the name of the virus and when it says the virus is detected which file is it. Maybe, if you have a repair disk you could repair the file that is infected, if it is a system file which I think it would be, CA might be deleting it.

Edited by dgraziani28, 20 December 2007 - 05:14 AM.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:13 AM

nothing happened and i just noticed something when i choose show hidden files and apply the changes won't apply
i enter again the settings and i change them but nothing happen (this is happening on 2 pc's) :thumbsup:

Are you logged on as Admin?

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:17 AM

Hmmm well actually this is happening on my 12 PC's network a usb plugged in containing that virus and adios for those 12 PC's on the network :D

win32NAT or NAS something like that i cannot really remember something that start or have NA :S

#15 alcastive

alcastive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:18 AM

Are you logged on as Admin?

Of course :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users