Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Coughing On Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:28 AM

You see I have a spare computer kinda old but good now that I wiped the hard drive. I tried to install 3 differant distros of linux on this machine and all dont seem to want to work, gets about 30 mins into the install and screen goes black. so I then tried to install winXP on it and since the is no former copy of windows already on the computer it wont let me install it either. I was just trying to figure out my choices. Not quite sure why three differant distros will not install and thought someone on here might have an answer also the three I tried was Ubuntu, Debian, and some server edition of Ubuntu, all of them seem to do the same thing. The tower Im trying to put them on is a old stock win ME computer that I never could get to work right and didnt have any way of restoreing it so pretty much had to wipe it.

Edited by Nooodle, 20 December 2007 - 01:35 AM.

Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

You might try DSL as it's pretty light on resources (uses Flux Box or JWM --Joe's Window Manager)

The tower Im trying to put them on is a old stock win ME computer that I never could get to work right

that could be part of the problem as well :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:50 AM

What are the computer specs and have you tried the Debian Text based install (included on your install CD) or Ubuntus alternate install (a different download).

What I did to get Debian on an older system of mine was used the text based net install., Worked great.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#4 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:13 AM

Ok guys I am a uber noob when it comes to anything becides Windows xp, what is the differance between a text based install and a "normal" one? also I would like some server programs so that I may confuse myself even more by trying to set up a web site ( something else I have no idea about).
Posted Image

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:24 AM

Text based and usually net installs don't have a big flashy graphical display, so it uses much less of the computers reources. It would be kind of like using the old style disk defragmenter in win 95. You just answer the questions, hit enter a few times and it does the rest.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#6 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:48 AM

sounds like a good thing got any links to a good site to get a version I can put on a CD to make a boot disk?
Posted Image

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:48 AM

Debian

*Ubuntu

*before clicking start download, you'll notice a checkbox underneath it. This is what you need to check for the alternate install CD.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#8 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:18 AM

I Finnaly got Linux to install YEAH!! I used the Text based install you suggested for Ubuntu, I like it, but now my windows comp had died and it has all my bookmarks and well my life on it :thumbsup: but talking about it in another area. Just wanted to say thanks for the help.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users