Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is The Best Router/usb Adapter Combination

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Linkman101

Linkman101

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

i don't know which one to chose i hav linksys right now but i want to get a more powerful one since the internet is slow i want to try out a new one so plz post back so i can see wat the problem is.

Thank you
Joshua Gretzmier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LA1

LA1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:02 AM

I assume you have broadband ? what do you mean router / usb. I have never seen a usb router. I had a DLINK DI 624 that I liked a lot, got it from Verizon with my DSL. Then I upgraded to FIOS and got a new router. I had a linksys too, a long time ago and it slowed down too. THIS IS IMPORTANT..How does your ps run in general ? is it slow when not on the internet.

#3 Linkman101

Linkman101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

I assume you have broadband ? what do you mean router / usb. I have never seen a usb router. I had a DLINK DI 624 that I liked a lot, got it from Verizon with my DSL. Then I upgraded to FIOS and got a new router. I had a linksys too, a long time ago and it slowed down too. THIS IS IMPORTANT..How does your ps run in general ? is it slow when not on the internet.

my pc is very fast though my internet is slow i ment a router and usb adapter we hav 2 computers one is directly connected to the hugesnet satalite internet then we hav a router hooked to it and a usb adapter on the other computer it is fast one hour a night near midnight
Joshua Gretzmier

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:38 AM

IME USB adapters are slower than the corresponding cards that you can install in a desktop computer. But if you must have this combination, I'd suggest one of the double pumped routers (the 108 mbps type) with a corresponding 108 mbps adapter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Linkman101

Linkman101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:43 AM

IME USB adapters are slower than the corresponding cards that you can install in a desktop computer. But if you must have this combination, I'd suggest one of the double pumped routers (the 108 mbps type) with a corresponding 108 mbps adapter.

thx i hav a 50mbps linksys router and adapter both home but any specific brand that you would suggest :thumbsup:
Joshua Gretzmier

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:17 AM

With a realistic throughput of 2.5-4Mbps, it is fast enough for most network applications and tolerable for file transfers.

http://www.homenethelp.com/802.11b/index.asp

even my lame old usb1 wireless B adapter is far faster than my internet connection

bad signal limits me to 200KB/s or 2000Kb/s

the adapter won't speed up your connection to the internet unless you have a truly high speed provider

verizon's fastest fios
15 Mbps download
15 Mbps upload

is still a lot less than

50Mbps

wireless g is 54Mbps

now for a gigbit connection your provider would need to furnish about 60MB/s bandwidth or 600Mbps

or 40 of those fios connections

HughsNet's fastest business connection is only 2Mbps so even my lame wireless B with bad signal is that fast

Edited by DaChew, 23 December 2007 - 02:39 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

At work I've had the opportunity to observe USB wireless and regular wireless running next to each other on similar systems - and the USB adapter is definitely slower than the built in cards.

Why this is, I have no clue. But since I actually saw it myself I avoid using the USB adapters whenever possible.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

I was having a lot of problems with my wireless and talked to an electronics geek, seems you get a lot of reflections that play havoc with checksum calculations, add the fact that usb is system intensive where the cpu has to do all the work for the interface and all heck breaks loose. That's why usb can't handle video capture well(too system dependent), but firewire can.

Edited by DaChew, 23 December 2007 - 11:14 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

Ahhh!!! That makes a lot of sense to me! Thanks Chewy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users