Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.dat Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gheese

gheese

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

i uninstalled a program that held archived messages and plenty of information... where the problem happened is i deleted where the information was held... i put it into the recycle bin then remembered i need that for informational purposes... so i restored the folder back to the computer where it was origianally at... then the mess happened... ALL THE FILES HAVE BECOME .DAT FILES IN WHICH I CANNOT OPEN THEM... NOT EVEN WITH NOTEPAD. HOW DO I CHANGE THESE FILES TO THE PROPER ORIGINAL EXTENSIONS... THANKS! :unsure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

Have you tried opening the .dat files in Notepad? Just open up notepad and click on File...Open... then navigate to the folder that contains the .dat files. At the bottom of this dialog will be a box labeled "Files of Type:" - click on the down arrow there and select "All Files". Then double click on one of the .dat files and let us know what you see.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:28 AM

yes i have tried that... notepad... all files and all i see are a bunch of characters and thats it... characters that dont resemble anything i can translate...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:07 AM

It's common for a file designated .DAT to display as unintelligible characters in Notepad. .DAT usually indicates a generic data file used by a program - the program itself interprets the data and understands the format in which it's stored.

What was the program you un-installed? Can you re-install it and see if it can re-read the .DAT files?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:34 AM

i just reinstalled the program again... the files are into the correct place as before and everything... i have uninstalled the program before bc i rarely use it but i need some info off the files that on uninstall it keeps still on my computer... the folder with the info i need... it does not uninstall that... and i put that folder into the recycle bin BY ACCIDENT... and the folder i need worked fine with program unistalled before... only thing i did this time was toss the file into the recycle bin then put it back... all the sudden it was .DAT and unable to open. no clue...

i think i located the file that is causing the errors -

The XML page cannot be displayed. Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. XML document must have a top level element. Error processing resource file.

Edited by gheese, 23 December 2007 - 05:29 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

Can you open the .dat files with Internet Explorer (by using File...Open...and then type in the exact path to the file)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

NO SIR! the impossible problem!... first need fix on bleepingcomputer.com that cannot be fixed... crazy! no clue what is going on with these files!

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

Possible solution?
http://www.processtext.com/file conversion
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

You might take a look here.

Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry) file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Easy File Associations for Windows XP

Tired of hunting around in File Types to re-associate your files? Here's an easier way to re-associate your files to the Windows XP defaults.

Download the fileassoc.txt file here (you may want to right click and select Save As). Look up the file extension that you wish to correct. The entries are in the format of:

assoc.txt=txtfile

Use your mouse to copy the line for the association you wish to restore. Then click Start, Run and enter CMD A Command Prompt window will open. Right click in this Window and select Paste. Then press Enter.

You can download a BAT file (zipped) that will restore all of the "default" associations that XP ships with. It will not restore those file associations created by 3rd party applications. The BAT file can be downloaded HERE.

Note: This does not repair a damaged association. If the "exefile" (.exe) Registry key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT has been modified to run ABCDEF.EXE rather than EXPLORER.EXE for executable files, then EXE files will still run with ABCDEF.EXE. This command only restores the Default association for the file type.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users