Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taming An Annoying Ie 6 Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 73VW1800

73VW1800

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:10 PM

I really thought this was a malware deal, but now I am not so sure. Every time I wanted to navigate through IE 6 from let's say Google to a link, or Intellicast weather to a map, IE 6 would say "sorry, can't handle it, must close" I asked the Event Viewer to tell me what was going on and it had a pile of Application Error red Xs, many of which claimed that a urlmon.dll file Ver 6.0 2900 3231 was excepting. In my search for "urlmon.dll" I was confronted with three. One in system32, and two in Windows\SoftwareDistribution\blahblahblah forever\SP2GDR. One of those two had the version showing up in the event log. So I deleted it. Now IE is behaving. Is this an acceptable practice? Do I conclude correctly that maybe a 12/13/07 Windows Update placed this buggy file in my computer? It said that it was an "OLE32 Extension for Wind32"
Colin?

Edited by 73VW1800, 20 December 2007 - 09:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

Do I conclude correctly that maybe a 12/13/07 Windows Update placed this buggy file in my computer?

It seems that KB942615 has been causing some problems with IE6 users. I would uninstall it through add/remove programs in the control panel. This seems to fix other users' problems. I personally have IE7 installed on my computer and have that update installed with no problems so I suspect it to be only with IE6.

If you uninstall it but have your computer set to automatically install updates you will receive it again though :thumbsup:

I would recommend going to start>settings>control panel>Automatic Updates> and enable "Notify me but do not automatically download and install them"

Each patch Tuesday (Monthly) you will be in control of your updates and when you do access the CUSTOM option you can choose just what you want to download and install.

When you go to Windows Updates next, you can hide the particular update KB924615 so it will not download and install again. Just follow the prompts once you are there.

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users