Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Card And Modem Dont Chat!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kazcheff

kazcheff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

As of late my DSL modem tends to dump it's service and after 3-4 re-power-ups, it comes on-line, but communication between the ethernet card and modem are broken. I use Q-West as my service provider her4e in the Mid-West, they do ok by me, but i HAVE A BUG THAT KEEPS RE-WRITING MY ip ADDRESS, etc. If you have a suggestion pop me an answer, please!! :thumbsup:
Never Slap A Man In The Face When He's Chewin' Tobacco.
Will Rogers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

Well...how do you know it's the modem and not the service/ISP?

Do you use a router?

The more pieces to the puzzle, the more things to check.

I suggest trying to reset from scratch (unplug modem, unplug router if applicable....then replug), after ensuring that it's not a QWest problem.

If you use software for your DSL connection, uninstall/reinstall would be my choice.

Louis

#3 kazcheff

kazcheff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:44 AM

I have pulled the plug on everything from the wall to the cpu, (ethernet card and re-connected), re-booted the modem. I have no router and have spoken to q-West help desk 4 times. Their line tests are all reading a good connection and can "ping" the modem without issue in 3 of the four cases. I have software from Q-West which I have re-installed twice. the software tends to work quite well with diag. and helping to re-write the ip address etc. The same error message pops up that my adresses have been changed. I have also found that the win32.dll has been changed in my antivirus system scans.
Could this .dll be corrupt!? :thumbsup:

PS: The re-writes take place when I boot the compuiter, my thought is something corrupt in the startup files or (if any)tsr's that must or do run in the background. I am not to keen with hi-Jack this registry editor.

Edited by kazcheff, 20 December 2007 - 03:49 AM.

Will Rogers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hmm...you might take a look at http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/i...e-my-ip-address

To be honest, I don't know very much about this, it's probably best to await inputs from someone more knowledgeable about the implications.

Back to your original message...why do you say you have a bug that's rewriting your IP address? I mean, what is that comment based on? A firewall message...an XP message...what?

Louis

#5 kazcheff

kazcheff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hamluis:

I have a disk provided by Q-West ( telecommunications provider), which contains the install software and the trouble shooting software. The general opinion by Q-West is if you are smart enough use this before calling. It is a good set of tools and I have gotten my addresses repaired , only to be re-written by something! A gremlin, a ghost, a vampire or. god forbid a VIRUS, possibly VD!!!! It happ0ens during re-booting the machine...

This is stated by not only my AV software, (win32.dll- "changed")_Q-West: "Your IP addresses have been changed"

I can only surmise the issue is in a downloaded file, I have tried to find the "ATARI" "Tank" game recently...

If you have a suggestion or can direct me to the Guardian security computer Web Page,...I'LL...I,LL....(Do something nice for you..it's Christmas.....!!:thumbsup:
Will Rogers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users