Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting 2 Motherboards

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:12 PM

Was just plain curious if it was possible to use two motherboard on the same same computer, to utilize both processors and all the extra stuff on the extra tower as if it were one complete computer, and if it is then how do I go about doing it?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 19 December 2007 - 06:03 PM.

Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

Simple answer is no, not for Windows. And you can't do it the way you described at all. But technically you could connect 2 systems together and have the workload distributed between them equally.
Beowulf Cluster
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

well what about Linux? You see I have a spare computer kinda old but good now that I wiped the hard drive. I tried to install 3 differant distros of linux on this machine and all dont seem to want to work, gets about 30 mins into the install and screen goes black. so I then tried to install winXP on it and since the is no former copy of windows already on the computer it wont let me install it either. I was just trying to figure out my choices.
Posted Image

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like you have an XP Upgrade disk.

If you can locate a Win98 se or WinME or Win2K OS disk, you can insert that at the prompt and it will then let you continue with the install, using that XP upgrade disk. :trumpet:

You can pick up old OS original disks very reasonably at Computer Shows or ebay, although be certain it is legit and not a copy. You want to stay legal. :thumbsup:

As far as safety and redundancy, they have motherboards with dual-processors, dual memory, dual power supplies, and on and on. The price goes up as the bells and whistles get added. :flowers:

DR

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

well what about Linux? You see I have a spare computer kinda old but good now that I wiped the hard drive. I tried to install 3 differant distros of linux on this machine and all dont seem to want to work, gets about 30 mins into the install and screen goes black. so I then tried to install winXP on it and since the is no former copy of windows already on the computer it wont let me install it either. I was just trying to figure out my choices.

Which Linux distros have you tried and how much memory and hard drive space does the old computer have. Some times you might have to go with a text install. Most of the time people have a problem installing is because they have a corrupt file or 2 from a torrent download
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:04 AM

I have tried two differand versions of Ubuntu downloaded from thier site and a version of Debian. The tower is a hp pavillion computer I think it has an atx motherboard, 40 gig hard drive, 256mb ram,
Posted Image

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

Your memory might be a little lacking for the newer Ubuntu versions. If I were you, I'd post in the Linux forums for better guidance. I'm a Linux noob, myself
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for your help :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users