Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflict Of Interest With Wireless Keyboard/mouse Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wish2learn

wish2learn

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hi all,

Perhaps you could help me make the right decision here:

I recently installed a Microsoft wireless desktop set and have it up and running no problems, but in the process of downloading the driver for mouse/keyboard an error occurred.
The PS2 compatible mouse driver failed to install properly. It now sits with my device manager and continually asks me if it can continue installation. I have two mouse devices listed under device manager:
* HID compliant mouse, and
*PS2 compatible mouse (which requests the update even though everything is already up and running properly).

When I comply, it searches for a while then I get a warning window which says " The driver for this device also controls keyboard port devices. If you install support for this device your current keyboard port driver may be replaced. Are you sure you want to install this driver?"

My dilemma is I am happy with my current set up and therefore reluctant to change anything. But I am continually pestered by the annoying request to install the support for the PS2 mouse and have no other option to shut it up.

Why do I have two mice listed? I unplugged my previous mouse from the PC - windows XP (but didn't uninstall anything seeing as all I did before was plug in the connection and no installation necessary),
I don't know if these represent a conflict of interest and whether installing the support for PS2 compatible mouse will resolve anything or just create a new problem.

Please advise...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

Try uninstalling the PS2 mouse in Device Manager and reboot
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

I tried to uninstall the Ps2 mouse but when I clicked to do so the PC when into a 'think' mode which lasted endlessly (past 1/2hr) . One time I got a 'program not responding' window, but the other times nothing...just the little hour-glass think symbol, endlessly.

Then it occured to me that it cannot 'uninstall' something which informs me that it has failed to install in the first place....?
So I am just stumped as to what the best course of action is now.

I have Googled all kinds of ways for some clarification but each page brings me back to the question of completing the unwanted installation. If I was certain this would not corrupt my system I would go ahead with it, but how will I know before until its too late?

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

<<Then it occured to me that it cannot 'uninstall' something which informs me that it has failed to install in the first place....?>>

I guess that I don't understand this line, considering that you stated that Device Manager reflects the PS2 mouse.

I would just remove the driver...it's not like doing so will result in anything worse than having to reinstall your wireless system. And maybe that's what is needed...a clean attempt at installing wireless mouse/keyboard with all traces of legacy devices removed.

As for possible corruption...file corruption occurs every day and is easily fixed by running sfc /scannow if you are talking system files.

Louis

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

Rather than trying to uninstall it, try disabling the device (right click on it in Device Manger, select 'Disable').

Then reboot and try to delete the disabled device.

#6 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:57 AM

thanks for these suggestions...

Hamluis: the device manager is the only location the Ps2 compatible mouse can be found listed, although it has a yellow exclamation icon placed beside it. And a start up window reminds me on a daily basis that it was not able to install. So it would seem that the HID compliant mouse is the one thats working with the keyboard, which is fine by me as all I care is that it works properly. I am stuck with the PS2 which is listed there, but not working and apparently cannot be asked to uninstall for some unknown reason (even though the right click offers this option).

AA: alas the right click only offers the choice to uninistall (not disable), or else to update the installation (& reinstall the driver). In desperation I finally gave it the go ahead to reinstall the driver, and then it comes back with the same old message which says 'cannot install ..data is invalid ' !!!!?????
So it seems I am check mated.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

If you physically remove the unwanted mouse, it will not be reflected in XP (cannot be, not attached).

At that point, you should be able to go to DM and remove the drivers for a device which is not attached/installed and delete any installation files for same. At this time, I would settle for remove drivers :thumbsup:.

I'm willing to bet on file corruption as the ultimate cause of this.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2007 - 01:24 PM.

#8 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

Mmmm, this sounds like a smart approach to my problem.

I disabled my wireless mouse by removing the batteries, then connected a USB cord mouse instead. All that happened was the DM noted the presence of new mouse but the same deal as before remained...my PC goes into an endless think about it all but cant seem to do as requested. So no other option seems available.

I have also searched in the Microsoft folders in my computer to see if I could access it from that end, but it is nowhere to be found (not even the dog can find its hidyhole).

I have also done a complete registery clean which usually picks up and removes any corrupted stuff, but the DM is not letting this one out of its clutches.

The curse of the PS2 (invalid) mouse.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:50 PM

The odd thing about this is that PS/2 mice shouldnt require and drivers at all. Just make sure that you plug it in with the system powered off or it might not be detected correctly
Also make sure that you completely disconnect the wireless mouse to avoid any conflicts
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users