Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Agp Card For A Sempron 3000+

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 setasdefault

setasdefault

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hey guys
What video card would you recomend for an old AGP rig that I want to keep alive for about 6 more months? Right now I'm running a geforce 6200 and 1 gig of ram with a Sempron 3000+ 1.8 ghz. What's the best card (for gaming) I can get before the CPU bottlenecks the system? I'd like to play things like BF 2142 on high settings. Right now I can run it on medium-low at 1024x768.
Yes, I know PCI-E is the new standard but I won't be getting a new PC until next fall. I'm thinking of a geforce 7600gs or gt.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

What kind of Motherboard or Computer is it?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

Its an emachines w3050. The mobo is a "First Internation Computer" model K7MNF-64. It's a geforce 2 chipset.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

FWIW: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=K7...K-N&cat=MBB

Louis

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:11 AM

From looking at the MB specs that hamluis posted The 7600 GS or Gt would be a great choice. I would recommend going with the Asus 7600 GS found Here and spring for another gig of memory.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks guys:
The extra gig of RAM won't be happening since I have 2 ram slots and each has a 512, I'm looking at $100 to get 2 gig sticks. As for the 7600gs, I'm really stuck on the decision. I can get a 7600gs agp from circuit city for about $80. See: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/PNY-GeForce...do#returnpolicy
Or I can go GT for about $120-140. However, If I go GT I will have to upgrade my PSU and that'll be another $30-40. If I stay with the GS, I think I can squeak by with my 300 watt OEM PSU. I only have 1 optical drive, the Sempron, and an IDE hardrive plus the old 6200. Does that sound safe to do? Try running a GS on my current PSU?

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

It depends on the quality of the PSU. I would not recommend it with either card. I checked PNY's website and it says that a min of 300 watts will work, but its an oem power supply and it may fail after a short period of time. Be prepared to get a new one soon.

Edit: ran spell checker

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 December 2007 - 06:35 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users