Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipeing A Hard Drive Clean

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

I have been having some problems with my CP-5300US, and am trying to fix it, but the problems are rather extensive so I have decided to get my CP-4300US, prepared for the long haul.

I have been having some problems reformatting this CP-4300 and have been considering some previous advice concerning doing a clean wipe.

Originally I reinstalled WXP-SP1 over the previous same versioin, this I thought would clean, wipe or format the HD,
whereby, I could then install WXP-SP2, I have been unable to install the SP2 from a MS, purchased SP2 CD.

I would like to try a re-installation and am considering installing SP2 on a clean or wiped HD.

Is there a good, (BC-Approved), way to wipe the HD, that is basically safe, that you would reccomend ?

Edited by Jove, 19 December 2007 - 03:41 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

KillDisk was on Grinler's list in the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps forum.
http://www.killdisk.com/
X

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

KillDisk was on Grinler's list in the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps forum.
http://www.killdisk.com/

Thanks for you reply, CTH_Tom,

OK, I'm game for that, I'll look into it, does Grinler post any details on this, (where do I find; Grinler's list in the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps forum.)

I went to the sight, (http://www.killdisk.com/), and my first dumb question is ;

Will I be able to use the HD to install WXP-SP2, after I kill it with this ?

Has anyone had any experience for this ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

Here's the link, look under the PC Security heading-
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
I've used it to wipe a disk and yes you can install your OS on the now clean hard drive. The program does no damage to the disk.
X

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

For the sake of clarity:

a. I guess that there are CDs that contain nothing but SP2...is that what you have?

b. If you have any full version of MS XP (original, with SP1, or with SP2), then you can install either one on a clean hard drive.

c. If you have an original XP CD, it's probably best to slipstream SP2 into it and then do the install (SP2 includes SP1). That will prevent any problems when you later need/want to use SFC /scannow or do a repair install.

Louis

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Thanks CH_Tom, I'll look into this.

Just to double check >> from the site;
Basic Information
Q: "Which operating systems does Eraser support?"

A: Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, and 2000 (all versions, with or without service packs). Eraser v5.3 has not been tested on other platforms.

Q: "The antivirus software I am using reports that Eraser has a virus! What should I do?"

I guess this includes WXP SP2 correct ?

Louis,

The CD I have was sent to me by Microsoft it was free I only had to pay the postage.
It is For Windows XP Home Edition, Professional Media Center Edition,and Tablet PC Edition. Not for resale
This disk contains updates for Windows XP.

2004 Microsoft Corporation 0704 Part no. x10-80291

Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies

I hope this answer your questions. Does this fit into the usage you are describing ?

Edited by Jove, 19 December 2007 - 10:37 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:55 PM

The first step in this process would be to go into the BIOS and make your CD-ROM the first device in the boot order. The Disc that you make to wipe the drive and the CD that you will use to install XP are bootable CDs and this is why the CD-ROM needs to be the first device to boot.

KillDisk is another freeware that will wipe you drive. There are easy to follow instructions at the site.

As for slip streaming, unless you have a hdd larger that 133GB it doesn't matter when the SP2 is installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

dc3,
Regarding KillDisk,

At this time the CP 5300US that I am working from does not have save to disc capabilities, another question for you, this will mean when I D/L it, (KillDisk), since the CP 4300 does not have online capabilities at this time, this means I can D/L to floppy disc from this (5300US), this will change the Boot Order to ;
Diskette Drive (A: ) Second and I assume at that time this will be changed to read First,
which I will then install it in the CP 4300US, for wiping the HD, correct ?

Edited by Jove, 20 December 2007 - 12:14 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:16 AM

Try Acronis True Image11. It'll do what you want plus a whole lot more:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

(See Acronis Drive Cleanser, just one of the included features, about half way down the page.)

I also use Acronis Disk Director Suite10 for other things, and it works like a breeze.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

The site that I provided the link to will allow you to use either a floppy disc or a CD. If you are going to run KillDisk on a floppy you will need to make it the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

To Review the situation,
I am wanting to get a fresh install of WXP-SP@ on CP-4300US.

Previously I installed WXP-SP1 and wanted to then install WXP-SP2 and ran into problems.

I have found that I can not format Disk C:, my thinking is that somewhere along the lines that either the HD is retaining some corruption or there is a faulty install of SP1 to the HD, from Restore disk as these are the only disc I have and they are factory disk that came with the Compaq Presario 4300US, set of 3 Restore disk including Compaq Operarting System WXP Home.

This is the reason I want to try wiping or erasing the HD.

I have created the floppy and have the guide available.

There seems to be a difference between erase and wipe, do you have any experience with this.

Is there a better option or alternative available for this case.

Also, Will the KillDisk, wipe or erase SP1 from the disk as this is the main objective.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

A low-level format...would erase any partitions on that disk. Utilities for doing such are at the website of respective hard drive manufacturers, but most of them are guaranteed to work only on the drives they were designed for (Seagate utility works on Seagate hard drives, Hitachi utility on Hitachi hard drives, etc.).

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low-level-format.html

Louis

#13 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

1.12 How to Permanently Wipe a Hard Drive
Most users are aware they can securely erase files and drives using free utilities like "Eraser" [1] and "Boot and Nuke" [2] that overwrite the data multiple times. At this site [3], suggested by subscriber Chris Price, they show how you can securely wipe a drive using a little-known feature built into many hard drives.
[1] http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
[2] http://dban.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129&tag=nl.e622

http://techsupportalert.com/issues/al_curr...tm#Section_1.12

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

If you own it, just do a complete install from the Microsoft operating disk.
It will remove every thing & you will need to go to Microsoft Update & get ALL the updates you lost.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#15 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

Thats just the thing that puzzled me, . . . that some where along the line the SP2 installation was not working, I kept getting missing or corrupt files and could not figure out wether it was from the disc, that HD or the take and interreaction between the D/L and the SP1.

I now have removed that HD and have it in an External Enclosure where its purring ! (Knock-On-Wood)

But, . .Thank you.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users