Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Shutting Off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spix14

spix14

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. my computer is brand new, about 3 weeks old. it's a toshiba satellite running windows vista. every so often it will just randomly go black on me and nothing I do will make it come back on. I have to do a hard shut off and then restart. my father in law said he had this problem when he bought his laptop and that it is because of vista. has anyone else had this problem? he said once he downgraded to XP it quit doing it. let me know if you need any additional info, I've scanned the computer, it is virus free and spyware/adware ect free. no other problems, just this weird quirk. how much damage will this do to my computer if I keep having to restart it without properly closing windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

Apparently there's a Release Candidate for Vista Service Pack 1 that you can
download. I'd read the stuff on microsoft web site about it and see if your
problem is in the fixes before installing.

I'm in the habit of never using hibernate or power saver features because
I've seen a lot of problems reported. But I only use desktops. If I had
a notebook I'd prolly look into it in more detail.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

The most common cause for this in Vista is corrupted video drivers. Try downloading the latest version from the Toshiba website and installing it on your system (presuming that you can get into Windows to do this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users