Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Problem Doesn't Make Any Sense At All.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iceash

iceash

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

I'll be surprised if anyone has an idea of this problem.

So i bought this new intel dual core computer. Everything is new except the LCD monitor. Sometimes my monitor goes blank for a second and then come up. I figured this was because of the loosen power cord. So whenever i tried to tighten that up and when the display returned the mouse would stop working. Everything is fine.. keyboard.. and all. System is working well. No errors on eventvwr. The mouse would not even work if i reboot the system. So i have to plug the usb back in. WTH Power cord has anything to do with mouse? I changed the cable.. and used the converter for mouse to plug it in PS2. Monitor doesn't go blank as the cable is tightly fit. if i try to plug back in mouse doesn't freeze now.

So could it be the VGA cable?
Motherboard? (It's brand new)

and yes i changed the mouse before too.. that mouse did not freeze but the arrow was lagging and moving slowly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

You've got me confused on this... you are not clear as to how you are plugging in the mouse to begin with.

I'm guessing that you are using a USB mouse and that the problem occurs when your screen flickers/refreshes. When the screen snaps back in and displays output, the mouse pointer stops responding on screen and you are unable to recover the mouse functionality.

Is it an optical (laser) mouse or a mechanical mouse?
Are you plugging mouse into USB ports on the monitor or are you plugging into USB ports on the tower / motherboard?
Does the mouse only function properly when you use the PS/2 dongle rather than plug the mouse into the USB ports?

PS/2 is really not the preferred connection to use nowadays, but if that is the only way that you can keep the mouse functioning normally, i guess that is the way to go. I've seen more instances of mouse function ceasing or even keyboard function ceasing when connected via PS/2.

If your monitor has USB ports on it i could see that might spike power through the monitor or perhaps be unable to push out enough power and cause a USB mouse to cease functioning. Dell monitors equipped with USB ports tend to be glitchy when you plug in a USB flash drive or other USB device on the monitor.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 iceash

iceash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

Ninja, Thanks for replying and i'm sorry english is not my first language. I will try to be more specific. When the screen goes blank by itself. Then there's no problem. But if i adjust the power cord myself.. (Put back in) Then the mouse stops working.

To answer your questions:

It's an Optical Mouse
USB ports on the motherboard

As i have said.. Mouse works well on usb ports as well. It's just when i try to tighten the power cable.. the mouse stops working. But if you do that while the mouse is connected to PS/2 then there's no problem.

Sure i have changed the cable which is tight enough and i wont need to do it by myself anymore. BUT I just wanted to know what are the causes of that problem?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

I guess I'm not understanding why you do anything with the power cable...and what power cable might that be (from where to where)?

Thanks.

Louis

#5 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

It's definitely an odd problem.

But i think with the monitor's power cable secured tightly, you have probably resolved this one.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

Have you set the resolution and refresh rate for the monitor?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 iceash

iceash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:26 AM

I don't think you need to set refresh rate for LCDs. I have it on 60. But it doesn't matter.

Resolution to: 1024x768

Ninja, But the problem is not normal right? And really doesn't make any sense. I would be happy if i know the cause and solve it. Do you think it could be VGA cable? Because of EMI?

#8 iceash

iceash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

Bought the new vga cable. And used the usb port for the mouse. Again when you do something with the power cable of monitor. The mouse stops working!! WTH! Here is what i noticed When it happens There is no red light under the mouse.

Btw i have noticed a better peformance in mouse now (it used to lag a bit minimizing windows now it doesn't)

Edited by iceash, 20 December 2007 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users