Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AboutBlank & se.dll HELP!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thekid

thekid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:17 PM

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I am desparately trying to get rid of spyware/adware/virus that I have picked up somewhere.

I installed Norton's Internet Security 2005 and Webroots Spy Sweeper in an effort to rid myself of this evil but so far I have had only limited success.

First my web browser homepage was hijacked by "About:Blank" and my computer started running SUPER slow.

After running both Norton's and Spy Sweeper there are a couple of items that keep coming up that Spy Sweeper says it has removed: CWS-AboutBlank and CWS_NS3Hijacker. I have been successful at getting my home page back to the Comcast.net page it should be. But Spy Sweeper constantly alerts me that my home page has been changed and do I want it restored to Comcast.net. I say yes and everything is fine for awhile, theh the alert from Spy Sweeper comes up again. When I go to eBay's site, eBay flashes up only for a moment then goes to About:Blank.

Also, I am getting two Windows Dialog boxes that regularly show up both at start up and after I have started working.

The first is:

(Heading) MSBLNetConn:msmsgs.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x68896e64" referrenced memory at "0x018a04d4". The memory could not be "read".
Click on "OK" to terminate the program.

The second one is:

(Heading) RUNDLL
Error loading C:\DOCUME~1\DADDY\LOCALS~1\Temp\se.dll
The specified module could not be found

Whenever, I launch Internet Explorer or if I go to the START/SETTINGS/Printers & Faxes window under the "START" button, two dialog boxes immediately pop-up.

The first one is the same as above:

Heading) RUNDLL
Error loading C:\DOCUME~1\DADDY\LOCALS~1\Temp\se.dll
The specified module could not be found

The second one is:

(Heading) Norton's Anti-Virus
VIRUS ALERT
HIGH RISK
Norton Anti-Virus has detected and removed a virus from your computer.
OBJECT NAME: C:\Docume~1\DADDY\Loca...\se.dll
VIRUS NAME: Trojan.StartPage
ACTION TAKEN: The file was automatically deleted

If Spy Sweeper and Norton Anti-Virus keep deleting my problems why do they come back and how do I permanently delete them. Is it possible that something resides in the TON of undeleteable "Temporary Internet Files" that I have.

I have tried the standard Internet Explorer tools "Delete files, Delete Cookies", and have done a seach including all hidden files and folders for any Temporary Internet Files and have deleted all that Windows would let me.

Please help me...

Thank you,

Thom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:43 AM

HijackThis post log here

Download HijackThis and run it. Save your log don't do anything else and post the scan results in the above forum link. Somebody will help you remove the infection.

Download HijackThis from here

Please don't post your log into this thread as you may not get the help you need.

#3 muhzel

muhzel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:22 AM

If you search the internet you can find a lot of stuff on it but non of it really helps unless you are a computer pro which i am not. so if you have any replies from anyone that knows how to fix the problem would be much appricated if u let me know as well.

and also how do i stop things adding themselves to my favorites when i havent added them myself.

computers are a pain in the arse when they dont work. :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

muhzel - it sounds like you need to post your own HijackThis Log to the HJT Forum. The people who answer your questions there are trained in analysis of HJT logs and in malware removal. if you are patient and follow their instructions you're problems will be fixed very soon.

If your problem is solely the about.blank infection there is a tutorial on cleaning your machine yourself. The WinXP/2000 version is here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...EDLL-t4210.html

If you would rather post an HJT log then please read the pinned posts 'How to use this Forum' and 'How to post a HighJack This log' at the top of the forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

I suggest you post the HJT log as you will then be instructed as what exactly to do to modify your registry without killing your op system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users