Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notepad Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:44 AM

Im not 100% sure if corrupted is the correct term. But my Notepad will not open. When I try to open it , I get this big box.

Which is titled (Connection Manager Profile Installer )

Inside it says.... Modes:

Profile Install - cmstp.exe[/ni/ns/nf/s/su/i]<Full Path to Profile Inf> Profile Uninstall - cmstp.exe/u[/s]<Full Path to Profile Inf> Uninstall Connection Manager- cmstp.exe/x[/s]<Full Path to CM Inf> Help-/? Long Paths to Inf Files must be enclosed in double quotes["]. Install Modifiers: /ni No Desktop Icon [Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0 only /ns No Windows 2000 Desktop Shortcut /nf No Support files /s Silent Install , /su Single User Install[Windows 2000 Only] Uninstall Modifiers: /s No Uninstall Confirmation Prompt Please see the Connection Manager Administration Kit Documentation for futher details about the usage of cmstp.exe ....

I have Windows ME. Notepad was working fine then poof it does this. Did something come in and mess with it? Is there any way it can be fixed? When I tried to send a shortcut to desktop another Notepad ( Notepad 2) showed in programs under start. Please help. Keep in mind Im a newbie. Leaning on the edge of being classified as a cluebie. :thumbsup: Lol

Edited by Scarlett, 04 January 2006 - 08:29 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:54 PM

Try replacing your notepad.exe:

Read the instructions here: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/winfiles.html#notepad

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Grinler for the help. I am going to try your suggestion. The download is a zip file. My questions are, is it a self extracting zip file or a reg. one? I do not have a zip utility. Which one do I need. And is there a free, trusted one out there? WinZip's site has an offer for a free trial. I guess I could use that for now. Any suggestions? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:24 PM

Not its a reg zip file. Not self-extracting. Winzip is fine, and if you have windows xp, there is a built in one you can use.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:05 PM

Ok I will use Winzip. You have been very helpful. Thanks a bunch ! I will keep u posted.

Edited by scarlett, 15 July 2004 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:36 PM

Ok so i have Win zip now and replaced my notepad.exe. Now what do I do? I can open notepad with winzip, but when I go to programs under start under accessories, and open notepad I still get the same bunch of stuff as before. How can I get rid of the old and get the new .exe in accessories? Or do I have to always unzip it ? I only have the evaluation version. Since I cant afford the full one. I have Windows ME.

Edited by scarlett, 16 July 2004 - 12:37 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:02 PM

You only have the evaluation version of what?

Notepad should be free.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

So sorry I was not clear. I meant I now have the evaluation version of Winzip. Please forgive me. Im new at this and just a little nervous. It has taken me a long time just to get started.
Posted Image

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:57 PM

Do not be nervous. THere is nothing at all to be nervous about.

Ok so you downloaded the zip file containing notepad. Did you extract it from the zip file into c:\windows or is still residing in the zip file?

If you click on start, then run, and type notepad.exe and press the ok button does notepad open?

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:01 AM

Ok I opened winzip, and notepad was no longer there,hmmm. So I downloaded it again. Then I extracted it to C:\WINDOWS/Startmenu\programs. It opens from there. Under ... Run it says it cannot find notepad.exe. The old one is still in ...acessories . Can I get rid of old one and is it going to be a problem that it cannot be found in Run? Oh, and does CWS.googlems have something to do with this? The dirty, rotten, scoundrel! :thumbsup: Thanks for all your help, Grinler you are a peach.
Posted Image

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:20 PM

Yes CWS could cause this. I need you to expand the file c:\windows only, not any other location. You should be able to click on start, then run, and type c:\windows\notepad.exe and press the ok button and notepad should open up. If that does not occur then you are extracting it to the wrong directory. Once you get this done, we will try to diagnose your cws infection you may have

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:56 PM

Success!!!!! I did It! Thanks a bunch. Now about that nasty creature that may even still be residing in my beloved desktop. What next? I have a sneaking suspicion that Im gonna need to download and run Hijack This. Yet another hurdle. No worry Im ready to jump in head first. Im so very glad that I finally got up the nerve to post. Being a very curious creature and an avid seeker of knowledge, Ive become a big fan of BleepingComputer. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:44 PM

We are glad you posted too :thumbsup: Nothing to be nervous here...computers are our tools, though sometimes we are hard pressed to realize that!

Post a hijackthis log in the hijackthis logs forum. There is a pinned topic at the top of that forum that explains how to create and post a log.

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:21 AM

Thanks Grinler  for the  help.  I am going to try your suggestion. The download is a zip file.  My questions are, is it a self extracting zip file or a reg. one?  WinZip's site  has an offer for a free trial.  I guess I could use that for now. Any suggestions?  :flowers:

I do not have a zip utility.  Which one do I need.  And is there a free, trusted one out there?

I too faced that reality a while back.

My son hands me a CD with some stuff on it. He says " I think these are regular zip files, maybe a couple are self-extracting, but just unzip 'em and ...)

Sounded like going to the dentist to me so I put the whole thing on a "back burner" until later when I chose not to download the winzip in favor of another one. (I'm habitually thrifty after years of child support payments, etc.etc.)

These folks have freeware:7-zip

BTW When I mentioned I'd loaded the stuff and how the program was cool and he says "It was more for when space on disks was a real issue...now that we've got so many Gb's to work with you don't need to use it as much." To which I responded with a type A clueless gem "Can I use it on my mp3's? they take up a lotta space" "No Dad, they're already compressed" he patiently replied.

Well, the bottom-line is, I still haven't conquered my ignorance in that subject yet, but found having 7-zip has helped. hehe

I'm pluggin' away at it, and encourage you to do the same, scarlett.

:thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 18 July 2004 - 01:24 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#15 QuaGon

QuaGon

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:55 PM

i use winRAR

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users