Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rar Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 banto

banto

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hi all,
When I downloaded some software, it consisted of 13 rar files, from --------.rar ; -------.r00 through to -------.r11:
All these were EXACTLY the same size (except for one) and after I un-rared (is there such a word?) one of them, I started to un-rar the rest, however, I was told that the file already existed, and did I want to overwrite.
Anyway, The File named ------.rar (presumably the 1st) seemed to work fine when I "mounted" it.
Have I missed something? Do I need the other files, if not what are they and why do they exist? Can I delete them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

Return to the site from which you downloaded the software; try to determine the SIZE of the download from whatever information you can find, then compare that size to what you downloaded. It may be that you have downloaded the same file multiple times in error.

Another way is to determine if the contents of the zipped files are exactly the same. Create two folders and unzip one of two of the downloaded files into the new folders. You can then compare the contents using Explorer. If the application works with just the original unzipped and installed, and the contents of the other zipped files turns out to be the same, you can safely delete the extras.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

lol

when you downloaded all the 13 rars,when you 'un-rar' them,it is actomatically join today

and of course when you unrar again you will replace the file,because it is the same one!!

#4 banto

banto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for your replies,
I'm almost certain that I didn't inadvertently download the same file 13 times; when I opened WInrar, it shows the contents of the download, and all 13 files are there.

Sorry DarkNight I can't quite see what you're saying, do you mean that when I un-rar the 1st file (-------.rar), it automatically un-rar'd the other 12 rar files or perhaps after I mounted and installed the 1st one, it then used the other rar files to make up the rest of the "coding"(hope this is the right word)?

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

It is one rar file, it is just split up into several chunks for easier uploading. WinRAR will treat them as a single file, and unpack them all at once. So when you unpack any one of them WinRAR unpacks them all. And the when you tried to unpack another one of them WinRAR tried to unpack them all again. In fact, you need all of the to be able to unpack it successfully.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 banto

banto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

Many thanks Mr Alpha (and others who took the trouble to help), it makes perfect sense, its easy when someone explains it.
Once again thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users