Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Me To Xp Home Outlook Express Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fisttoe

fisttoe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:19 AM

we just switched to MS XP home edition w/service pack2 from WIN ME and whenever i try to get my email from Outlook Express 5.5 to Outlook Express 6 I get this message
Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'https://www.hotmail.com' Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12019, Error Number: 0x80004005

Does anyone know why? or how I can get my mail again? Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

How are you connecting to the internet and how do you normally receive your email?

Did you set up a email account when you upgraded to XP?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fisttoe

fisttoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:56 AM

we connect through cable, mid speed 1500bps? yes I created a new account using my signin name and password from before yet this is the message I always get

#4 fisttoe

fisttoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:58 AM

sorry, forgot to add that I get my email through msn.com amd also yahoo, the account I'm asking about is a hotmail account thanks

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

CAUSE
This behavior can occur because of a corrupted .mbx file, typically the Inbox.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, rename the affected .mbx file, and then restart Outlook Express:
Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
In the Named box, type Inbox.mbx .
In the Look in box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click Find Now.
Right-click the Inbox.mbx file that appears, and then click Rename.
Type Inbox.old, and then click OK.
Restart Outlook Express.

#6 fisttoe

fisttoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

thanks, i did as you suggested but my search results came up empty, perhaps thats the problem?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Just to clarify: You did set up your email account on the new system...exactly as it was before?

I guess that I don't understand why you had to set up a new account...if the process was an upgrade. AFAIK, the programs (including Outlook Express) should have merely been passed along to the upgraded O/S.

But I've not done the upgrade O/S thing and I could be wrong. I prefer clean installs with the new O/S (which would require setting everything up anew) because I don't like carrying potential/actual problems forward to a new O/S.

Louis

#8 fisttoe

fisttoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

I thought that all ihad to do was simply sign in,same as usual only now it'd be on XP but when I tried to enter my info I got the error message as in my first post so I thought that by setting up a new account, using my same info from before, that I'd receive my emails. I was wrong as I still got the same error box and now I find out while trying to fix it, I don't even have an inbox file! amazing.
any further suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you all

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

Here is a tutorial for setting up an account for Outlook Express. This is what is being referred to as setting up the account.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 fisttoe

fisttoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

I followed the instructions and it allows me to set up an account however when it asks if I want to download files, I click yes and it begins but then the pop up window asking for user name and password shows up and when I enter the info the window pops up again asking for name and password and I've checked and re checked and yes I'm entering the correct name and password. I must be doing something wrong but I sure can't figure out what it is.
Thanks to you all for the help

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

It's probably how you set up the account :thumbsup:.

I have an Earthlink email account and unless I specifically put a check mark in the box on the Servers tab (My server requires authentication), my account does not work.

The safest thing to do is go to the website of Hotmail and get specific instructions on what you have to enter where.

All it takes is one omission or mistyping and the email won't work correctly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users