Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forensic Science

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:25 PM

I'm have been thinking of being a forensic scientist quite a while now, and I guess it's time to get serious. I will try my best to be one.
But first off, can anyone tell me any good colleges from the equator up with a good curriculum in forensic science? And my friends have told me that the subject is too vague; if that's so what are the specific fields associated with forensic science?
(It would also be nice if you could have a list of requirements on what an adequate forensic scientist should have)
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

Current term is "Criminalistics".

Since you are in California, this page may be of some interest.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:46 PM

Here are some job descriptions:

http://www.criminaljusticeusa.com/forensic-science.html

http://www.careerplanner.com/Job-Descripti...Technicians.cfm

http://www.forensicdna.com/careers.htm

For further reading, a bibliography:

http://www.lib.jjay.cuny.edu/research/foscbib.html

Reading these will, I think, answer your questions.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

:flowers: Awesome! I finished reading the first link. Looks like I'll have to work harder! Time to finish reading the rest...
Thanks!!
Criminalistics eh... Looks like I'll take time to adjust to say that...
Thanks to both of you, these links are awesome! :thumbsup: (How come these never showed up for me...;D)
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:10 AM

OR: "Forensic Criminalistics."

There are also many college syllabi on line. You can find out about the differing class offerings, as well as prerequisites, by checking them. You may also be able to talk to your local police department's Forensic staff for real-life and first-hand information.
Cheers,
John

#6 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:18 AM

Yes forensic criminalistics sounds exactly like the job I'm thinking of... just haven't thought up of the best way to phrase it. Thanks :D
I tried doing that, except I stopped it after square 1... the police officer patrolling my school (also happens to be the local PD chief) went to my parents and said something about me wanting to be a forensic scientist. My parents strongly object me to doing anything "dangerous and even slightly tiresome." So yeah, I'm pretty much on my own.
Biology, chemistry, logic, deductive reasoning... I'll be busy :thumbsup:
Personally, I don't think it's that dangerous.
The only things I'm currently worrying about is whether I'll be able to get enough high school credits to graduate if I take the forensic science ROP and the views of my parents.

#7 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

Here's another site to check out. Lots of info on the links on the page. Even got a forum there.
http://www.aafs.org/
X

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

There is nothing wrong going off to college with a planned outcome in mind, but don't expect it to remain unchanged during those four years. Many of the courses, especially the first two years, are general; some may overlap with required courses for FC, other courses may suggest to you other paths to pursue.
Cheers,
John

PS: like your Russell quotation; he deserves to be read more than he is nowadays.

#9 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

Woah, nice site. The only site I have been on was the National Forensic Academy. Nothing much to do there. But Tom, that site was extremely informative, thanks :thumbsup:

No, there isn't anything wrong with having a planned course. The problem is just if the plan goes off course and I will be at a loss as to what to do. And college... it sounds so complicated... but then again, it's to educate us about complications.

On a completely random note, are there still detective agencies in the US? From the books that I read (cough cough Sherlock Holmes) the jobs seem pretty similiar.

I think the quote is completely true... couldn't find a single refutement for his statement so far. Our brains are "programmed" to make things up for memory blanks and unknowns...heh. Well, at least mine is. Personally, I think his books are somewhat boring and "is one of those books that should be comprehended through audiotapes." Boring, but it somehow has power that makes me like it.

Ah dang... project at school, I didn't get the topic on forensics ;( Ah wells...

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:40 AM

Yes there are detective agencies, but no, they generally use different, far less scientific, techniques.

Russell's History of Western Philosophy is still on my bookshelf after twenty-odd years, as are some of his "lighter" essays. I have never tried to fathom his Principia Mathematica, which he wrote with A.N. Whitehead.

"The problem is just if the plan goes off course and I will be at a loss as to what to do. And college... it sounds so complicated..."

I doubt that you will be at a loss, since if the plan does go off course, it will be because you have found something more to your liking. At some stages in life there are great complications, but these generally resolve themselves once you get acquainted and accustomed to something new.
Regards,
John

#11 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

Ah. Although Sherlock Holmes seems like a detective (and one of my favorite series), I don't think the detective agencies would be applying his techniques...

As for college, I don't think I'd be going off course. More like unexpected things happening like some scandle at the college I'm going to, or parents utterly refuse to let me go :flowers:

And thanks to everyone for helping me :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users