Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Refuses To Start Up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:10 PM

Hi, I accidentally made a post in the NT/2000 Section. If someone would kindly close it for me I would appreciate it >_<
Anyways... here's what I had from my last post, with some edits:
It was a normal usage of my computer; I was working on Microsoft Word. It started to lag, which was normal after I used WinWord for a while, so I decided to save and restart. Everything's normal. Then, when it's loading on the Toshiba: In Touch with Tomorrow, it's supposed to show the loading bar and logo. Except, the screen goes black (as in, "power off" black, NOT the inactive but on black) and it loops back to the In Touch with Tomorrow page. Help!!!

I pressed F8 and tried to reboot. It worked, except it's still on the loop. I managed to notice something about NTDetect fa___. The rest I couldn't read but I would assume it said failed? It was on for a nanosecond, I missed it a few times because I blinked. Is that Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.? Is it killing my system?
Edit: I went on the BC database, and saw that NTDetect was not at all spyware, it was actually SP2. Thanks BC :D

I also pulled out the batteries and plug and restarting but it still doesn't work. My parents are already going blah blah blah about it, and I'm on the really slow computer, which, I might add, has malware T__T And I'm not allowed to remove it because "it doesn't interfere with my educational activities."

The computer has been like the stated above for over an hour already, with no signs of stopping. And if pulling out the battery and plug 10 times will kill it, the computer would have died 10 times over in the past hour. I really can't continue working on this laggy and Alexa and trojan infected computer, so if someone can tell me what to do to fix it, or at least get the NTDetect back on, I will not forget this great favor :thumbsup:
Thank you!!!

And in case I don't make my symptom clear, I went about looking for a similar case. The link below is exactly what's happening to me, except I just stop at the windows logo and just restart like that. And I can't get through F8 19 cases out of 20.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/121479/computer-not-turning-on/

Edited by skyfuser, 18 December 2007 - 11:12 PM.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

I feel like saying lots and lots of expletives right now. My Toshiba is STILL looping (4-5 hours already? :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove: ) and now I see that Safe Mode, Debugging Mode, and Rebooting does not work at all. And for those that suggest the bootdisks, looks like I'm doomed. I have no floppy disks nor floppy drive...
And please, this is very urgent, you have to help me!
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#3 SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:29 AM

are you using NTFS system??
are you enable option "compress drive to save disk space" for the drive you have windows on?????

the file NTdetect.com is necessary to detect windows XP on NTFS system

I don't know if this help but give it a try

I think your problem must be solved out OS .... I mean you have to work at boot ... so if you have liveCD or any CD or flash you can boot from then try to look at NTdetect.com properties and let me know or if you want I can send new one for you

Edited by SUPERIOR, 19 December 2007 - 02:29 AM.

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:48 AM

:D Thanks for helping, it's your first post :D
I'm not very technologically oriented, so I don't know what NTFS mean. But I'm using Toshiba Windows XP Home Edition...lol
And I can't even start. It's like...uhhh... (bad analogy) I'm trying to get out the door and into the car, but I just cant fit through the door T_T I keep charging into the door in hopes that I break through but I always fail.
That's like the computer. It goes to the start screen, In Touch With Tomorrow, blah blah blah, then it's supposed to go to the loading page, except it just blacks out and goes back to the In Touch With Tomorrow screen. So basically I can't even start up. I've tried billions of sites about how to boot since 6 hours ago, but with no luck. They keep mentioning Windows XP boot CD. I only got the Toshiba Recovery. At least, I didn't want to make more noise and have mom drag me off to bed :flowers:
My parents are finally asleep and I found the recovery disks in my room. Reformatting... sigh... byebye 1 GB of music and 4GB of Code Geass :thumbsup: Looks like lots more valuable stuff will be lost from me...\
And what's OS?
Bleh... on with my genetics essay...

#5 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:01 AM

OS stands for Operating system, examples of OSs include Windows Xp, WIndows Vista, Mac and Linux.

NTFS stands for Networking Technology File System and is a format type. I would guess that you're hard drive would be a NTFS drive as it is the default for hard drives of large capacity. To check, just go to my computer, and click once on your drive, at the bottom in the left hand panel, you will see a category called Details, click the drop down arrow next to it so that you can see the Details if you cannot already. It will tell you what kind of file system you have, either NTFS or FAT. you can see more information about NTFS by clicking here.

They keep mentioning Windows XP boot CD

Uh-oh. I have a feeling you may need to just start afresh and reinstall Xp....but the idea about a Live CD would be great. A live CD is basically a CD where you can run a whole OS from. You can find more information here. My idea and probably SUPERIOR's idea is that you use something Linux to see if it can recognise your hard drive, and it should be able. You can then tell if it is NTFS or not, by right clicking and selecting properties and looking for what it says next to File System.

Also, about your slow malware ridden computer, you could always post a HJT log and remove it...just don't mention it to your parents. What they don't know won't hurt them right ;) If you decide to, please click here and follow all steps that you have not already completed.

Do not alter your computer before you receive a reply for the HijackThis Log. This is because fixes will be based on the information you supply when you made the log.

Also be patient, as there are only a limited number of helpers and a large demand. If you receive no reply within 5 days, please post the link to your thread in the thread here.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:06 AM

Known malware...can interfere with normal functioning of a system. That's why most of us tend to remove such.

Second the HJT recommendation.

Louis

#7 SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

well...... look if you can tell me exactly what is the error ...may this help me to diagnose the problem

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:32 PM

Well, you really haven't begun to provide enough info to guess what's really wrong.

Do you have an XP CD?

Louis

#9 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

I also pulled out the batteries and plug and restarting but it still doesn't work

Does it make any beep noises at all? If so, this will help us diagnose your problem.

Click here to find a page that has all the meanings of the beeps.
Posted Image

#10 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

Sorry people if I didn't provide enough information.
There wasn't any beeping. Unless, of course, turning on the computer speakers to full volume wasn't enough :S
No, I don't think I have an XP CD. I raided the Toshiba and other equipment boxes in my room, and I only found a Toshiba recovery CD. Is the XP CD gotten if you specifically order from Microsoft or does the computer come with it?
And beeping. Bleepingcomputer... computerhope.com/BEEP.htm. Interesting.
Well, since I used the Toshiba Recovery application, I reset everything >_< So it's back to normal...for now...
Is it possible to have a backup NTDetect file or alternative in case the main original one gets corrupt or deleted?
Thanks for helping :thumbsup:

Edited by skyfuser, 20 December 2007 - 01:54 AM.

#11 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:36 AM

There wasn't any beeping. Unless, of course, turning on the computer speakers to full volume wasn't enough :S

What i meant was from the actual computer tower when it starts up.

Is the XP CD gotten if you specifically order from Microsoft or does the computer come with it?

You usually have to buy it as an extra from where you get your computer from. You can order it from Microsoft as well. I find it handy buying one, just so i can reformat my computer or recover it is necessary.

Is it possible to have a backup NTDetect file or alternative in case the main original one gets corrupt or deleted?

Ntdetect would be on the XP disc, but if you are interested in making a back up, read the webpage here.
Posted Image

#12 SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:56 AM

congratulation skyfuser,
well..... I think NTDetect corrupted in rare cases ....but after what happened to yo .... I think you should keep an extra one in safe place....don't forget it doesn't cost too much in size "about 48 KB"

#13 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

Nope, no sound came from the computer file either.

And thanks for the link.

Last question: does the Windows XP CD fix the computer without clearing everything?

Thanks to everyone that helped me :D

#14 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

Last question: does the Windows XP CD fix the computer without clearing everything?

That depends on what is damaged on your computer. The Recovery Console can be used to fix some computer problems when you cannot boot the computer, but not all. If you can't fix the problem with the Recovery Console and it's a software problem (not a hardware problem) then you have to reformat the computer which wipes out everything on your hard drive. Because of this, i find it best to either partition my hard drive or have an external hard drive/USB flash to backup all my important files. You could also use an online sever.

Thanks to everyone that helped me :D

It has been my pleasure :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users