Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Is Low

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 goldenchild

goldenchild

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

I've done many things to check my comp, but i'm still lost on why my memory is so low. When I cut on the computer a box pops up saying that the computer memory is low and windows is increasing it to the maximum. When the computer starts up 10 minutes later. A yellow box pops up stating that my virtual memory is low and i should try to increase it. I've cleaned and checked the disk. Lately i've looked at the c: drive to see how much space is available and it seems it decreasing each time i do so. I've checked for malware some things were found and removed. Please someone help me. I dont' want my computer to crash and it seems like its getting to that point. I'm thinking about investing in an external drive. Currently my system has 71.2 GB used space and 133 MB available. This will probably be less by the time i get a response. My capacity is 71.4 GB. Where could all my space be taken up? I have limewire maybe that's the issue. Someone please assist me ASAP!
Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

Your Hard drive is just too full. There isn't even enough space to run Virtual Memory.
Try to get a little working room. A min of 20% hard drive free space would be nice. You may want to back some music or Photos and things off the PC.
First try to do the follwing from Safe Mode as that will free up some room immediately.

Safe Mode..Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

1.. control panel and remove progs you no longer use or don't really need.
2 .. Start> all progs>accessories>system tools>Disk clean up

Do this and post back with How much Ram you have and how much space you have opened up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

Try using something like sequoia tree to check out the status of your computer, it'll show you what files are taking up the most space.

http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...n/sequoiaview//

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

I would follow boopme's advice, first, before installing SequoiaView.
If you have that little room left on your harddrive, you don't need to be installing another program, until you've freed up some room.

Also, as boopme said, post back with how much RAM you have, and how much space you were able to free up.

While in Safe Mode, I'd also run your Antivirus, and Spyware programs, just to be sure.

Edited by tg1911, 30 December 2007 - 07:39 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

I have 65.3GB used and 6.08 Free Space = 71.4GB.
I followed those steps and it helped a lil bit. I just bought an external hard drive and i'm gettin advice about that now. I need more memory it seems. I don't know how to go about that.
Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

What's your Operating System (XP Home, XP Pro, etc., ....)?
How much RAM do you have (right click My Computer / select Properties / under the General tab, how many MB of RAM do you have)?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

The system is a Dell 3000 and it only has 256 MB of ram installed This is the post regarding the external HDD.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:17 AM

hi ,,, have you tryed getting rid of some of your system restor points and then makeing the disc space allocated to sys restos smaller,,, this should give you some back,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users