Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish, Sluggish Browsing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

I'd been assuming that my sluggish browsing over the last week or so was related to a combo of being on slow dialup and using Vista. However, it seems that McAfee pulled a trick on me and turned its firewall on, even though I had turned it off.

Now that I have only one firewall running, I'm navigating much faster than I had recently. Would the sluggish browsing have been a likely result of the conflicting firewalls? (Yes, I do know to run only one, as well as only one resident AV app.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

Your conclusion seems logical. Each of the two firewalls examining packets and arguing with one another could certainly slow down your connexion.
Keep tabs on changes (or lack thereof) on your navigation speed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:31 PM

Keep tabs on changes (or lack thereof) on your navigation speed.

Will do; thanks for the suggestion and your reply, John. I'm also going to check regularly to make sure that I'm running only one firewall.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:36 PM

If there is no change, then you have found the cause. But if the sluggish returns, and you can determine that both firewalls are not active, then look for a different cause.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users