Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing But Error Msgs After Bootup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 codsmith

codsmith

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

My computer was running fine until the other day and all of the sudden last week when I went to use it I had to turn it back on and now I receive nothing but error messages and my wallpaper. I have no icons, taskbar, etc. The only thing that pops up are windows error messages, including these three:

Error 1 includes:
C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7e88.dir00\explorer.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7e88.dir00\appcompat.txt

Error 2 includes:
C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72da.dir00\wmpnetwk.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER72da.dir00\appcompat.txt

Error 3 includes:
C:\Windows\TEMP\WERfa8f.dir00\WgaTray.exe.mdmp
C:\Windows\TEMP\WERfa8f.dir00\appcompat.txt

It always wants me to keep resending error reports. And then eventually it will come up with a pop up window saying

"Notification dll has not been registared, program will not work correctly."

If anybody can help me out that would be great. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

Use this free utility, CCleaner, to delete your temp. files.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

EDIT: I'm not advising to use the registry cleaner on CCleaner just checkmark System>Temporary files.

Edited by CTH_Tom, 18 December 2007 - 05:19 PM.

X

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

Warning When Using a Registry Cleaning Tool.

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work. Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again..

Before proceeding, backup your registry! NOW!!

Recommended registry utility. ERUNT Registry Backup
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:55 PM

I already have that program on my computer, but I can not access any applications on my computer right now. The only thing that has worked was the internet.

Someone on here was helping me clean up any spyware or malware I may have had and I think that is what got me into this mess. Any ideas on how to restore the files I need?

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

Have you tried booting up in "Last Known Good Configuration?" It won't work if someone flushed System Restore. In that case, you will probably have to do a repair install of XP.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

You could try a repair install...but chances of that correcting any malware problems are pretty slim.

Clean install.

I find it interesting that you say you cannot access any programs...yet you are using IE (which is a major part of XP).

The first thing that needs to be done (to avoid wasting time) is to get that system shed of any malware. It seems likely, based on what you have stated, that you have malware issues.

Louis

#7 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I but I can not access any applications on my computer right now. The only thing that has worked was the internet.

If none of your programs are working you can try the .exe fix for XP here, and scroll down to #12-
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
It's a reg file so save it to your desktop and right click on it to merge the fix into the registry.

Edited by CTH_Tom, 18 December 2007 - 07:03 PM.

X

#8 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

I have already tried the "Last Known Good Configuration" without success.

I have done a repair install before, but for the life of me I can not remember how to do it. Does anyone have a link on the steps to do it.

I tried the .exe fix, but I am still gettting the error msgs at startup.

I am able to access stuff if I go under my task manager and do things that way. So am I left with a Repair or Clean install as my only options?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

This is probably the best tutorial
Michael Stevens Tech
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

Okay, I followed the steps to do a repair install and everything seemed to go fine until it restarted after installing and now I am getting two different blue screens of death.

One error says:

"A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated."

The technical information in the bottom says ***STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000003, 0x812c1208, 0x812c137c, 0x805FA428)

The Second error says:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

Any ideas where to go from here?

Edited by codsmith, 21 December 2007 - 12:30 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

Take a look: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315266

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users