Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Boot Up.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geno2k3

geno2k3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

Computer just shows a blinking line with my video card type kinda like this:

_
Radeon X800XL

(at the top left part of the screen)

Before i used to have this problem but then i would just press F8 to go boot to safe mode, regular way, ect. But now F8 and all the F(?) keys dont work. It just stays on this screen. (ive tried pressing delete and most of the buttons twice a second before i even see anything, still doesnt work.)

I did try to upgrade the bios version via .exe but then it said something about insert a floppy disc to burn it but i didnt have one so i thought everything was fine. My disc space is very low (under 200mb) does windows need more then that to boot? I tried putting in my WINXP PRO cd but i get nothing. PLEASE HELP!

Usually if this happens i would press F8 constantly and it will show the intel boot screen then ask me if i want to start windows normally, safe mode and all these other choices.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 geno2k3

geno2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

Tried replacing mobo jumpres and using install / recovery bios cd's. Nothing worked, any ideas?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

If it's a black screen with a blinking cursor at the upper left, I would try using the fixmbr or fixboot command from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

Louis

#4 geno2k3

geno2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

the computer wont detect any cds.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

The computer will detect optical drives...if you tell it to do so.

You must go into the BIOS/Setup...and change the boot options so that the first option is not your hard drive (0) but your optical drive. Save settings, exit. Put CD in tray before POST is complete.

Louis

#6 geno2k3

geno2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

i cant even get it to boot.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

On the 18th, you said it could boot...how else could you do the things you say you tried? Today, it cannot. Maybe you mean that it won't boot into XP but it seems to have power on all fronts, I don't know.

I think I would check the PS by substituting a known good PS (temporarily) for the one currently installed, as I try to eliminate pieces of the puzzle :thumbsup:.

You could also remove the hard drive...place it as a secondary drive on a known good system...and run chkdsk /r on it from that system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2007 - 01:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users