Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia 8 Series Driver Conflicts While Gaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gumpy01

Gumpy01

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi folks. I recently built what I hope to be a system that will last me a few years. I play LOTRO and when I logged in to play the other night, the game kept freezing and the vidoe began to break down. I have heard that the Nvidia drivers may be causing the trouble. has anyone else experienced anything similar?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:39 PM

Nvidia drivers, especially the beta ones or the drivers for Vista, can have problems. You can try other releases of the driver to see if the problem persists. The game may also be the one having problems and not the driver.

3939.png

#3 Gumpy01

Gumpy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:13 PM

Thanks...

I just got the videa card..EVGA 8800GT KO 512Mb...it is acting the same way that my XFX 7800GTX acted. I was wondering if i was just having bad luck with cards. I did manage to get a stable driver for it. But since this is my second card on the same gaem with the same issue, I am wondering if the game engine has trouble by design with certain NVidia chipsets.

I will try to find other drivers besides the latest ones out for that card. My concern there is that the card is kind of new and may not have any other drivers to select from.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

On Nvidia's forums there are several posts by users having problems with the 8800 series. I think it may be mostly game related.

3939.png

#5 Gumpy01

Gumpy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:50 PM

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

Hi grumpy, if you are running Vista you could try a couple of things 1) check for updates/patches for the game 2) try running it in compatibility mode (right click on the .exe) and choose run this program XP SP2 mode. Do you have problems with other games?
MCP
MSDST

#7 Gumpy01

Gumpy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hi Monty,

I should have specicifed that I am currently using XP SP2 OS. I did play for a few hours last night and had minimal trouble. I still think that there are some bugs to work out, but FRAPS said that I was running 55-75 FPS on almost all high settings. Guess I cant complain..the game btw is LOTRO.

#8 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Have a very similar version of the EVGA card. From my experience, the stock cooler is not enough cooling and it kept overheating. I had to replace it with this. http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.a...01&code=013. The overheating stopped. I have noticed problems running certain games, like Dreamfall, The Longest Journey 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users