Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywarebot Registry Entry Can't Be Deleted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ccrane

ccrane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

I accidentally installed Spywarebot instead of Spybot. I have uninstalled it and used Spybot and CCleaner on it. Most of it is gone, but it seems to have hijacked a service or something because every time I delete the following registry setting it immediately reappears. No matter if Spybot, CCleaner or I manually delete it - it is right back. I have seen a lot on problems getting rid of Spywarebot but nothing that adresses this specific problem. When deleted in safe mode it does not come back right away, but does return when I boot back into normal mode. The reg entry is:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

C:\Program Files\SpywareBot\SpywareBot.exe -boot

What keeps putting this back??????

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

SpywareBot is a program that is listed as a rogue on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List. "Rogue/Suspect" means that these products are of unknown, questionable, or dubious value as anti-spyware protection.

Did you use the program's uninstaller or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel? Its not uncommon for uninstallers to miss some of the associated registry entries during removal. Did you physically search for SpywareBot.exe to ensure it has been removed?

C:\Program Files\SpywareBot\SpywareBot.exe

If its no longer present, download AutoRuns
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to SpywareBot.exe.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users