Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non Os Sytem Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dortmund23

dortmund23

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

when my homebuilt pc boots up it says non os system disk press any key to reboot. I press a key and the message pops up again and so forth. I have had xp sp2 installed for about 6 months without any problems. what should i do. I by luck have got it to boot normally.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

Sometimes a weak power supply won't spin up the hard drive fast enough to boot properly, other times the boot files get corrupted?

Is the computer good and clean inside?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

Take a look: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000229.htm

I'd check the boot order in the BIOS first; run chkdsk /r on the hard drive second; use the fixboot command from the Recovery Console if still no joy.

And, of course, check all connections before doing anything, they do become loosened at times.

Louis

#4 dortmund23

dortmund23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

Sometimes a weak power supply won't spin up the hard drive fast enough to boot properly, other times the boot files get corrupted?

Is the computer good and clean inside?

I i think psu is fine. 500watt dual 12+ 18 and 17. the boot files might be messed up. I have a trojan and i used sdfix and ever since i used that the error message comes up when booting up. I am thinking about using windows repair off of my xp sp2 disk to try to repair and screwed up files.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:02 AM

I by luck have got it to boot normally.

if your boot files are messed up then I wouldn't think you could get it to boot normally?

If some hardware was glitching then booting could be hit or miss.

Check the voltage rails under load, 6-700 watts and 3 rails would mean little if the load is too much and the power supply cruddy.

I had a very small very old cpu fan that I had put on an old video card that caused the same problem. It drew down the available power at boot up.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users