Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Crippled By Microsoft Patch

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

Users complain about last week's security update

Microsoft is investigating reports that last week's Internet Explorer security update has crippled some users' web connection. Users started posting messages to multiple Microsoft support newsgroups almost immediately after Microsoft released the MS07-069 security bulletin on December 11, saying that they were unable to connect to the internet, either because IE refused to open or because when it did open, it could not reach various sites.

"About 60 percent of the time, I would get an 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close' dialog,"...both IE6 and IE7 balked at loading, or while loading, some pages, particularly home pages, on both Windows XP and Windows Vista machines...

pcadvisor.co.uk

Edit in title for Update: Info from MS Security Response Center

Edited by quietman7, 20 December 2007 - 08:14 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

That's very useful info, quietman7. I've noticed there have been a number of posts here lately from people experiencing just these problems. Would you recommend that folks uninstall that update until such time as a patch or new update is available? Or do you think that whatever security issues it addresses are more important than the problems it apparently creates?

Thanks.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

MS07-069: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer

How to obtain help and support for this security update
For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615

I don't generally recommend removing security patches but some in the newsgroups have already started doing that. However, this quirk is not affecting all users so folks should even not be considering that option unless affected.

Another option would be to use an alternate browser like Firefox and wait until MS updates the applicable Knowledge Base article and releases a patch as they have done in the past.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for a quick and informative reply.

Right, I didn't mean that everyone might want to uninstall the update. I'm trying to decide whether to or not, since I experience this problem myself. I'd been attributing it to my slow dialup connection, but now I'm not so sure. Firefox is on my list of downloads to make when I can get to the library, but that's not likely to happen until after the holidays.

Thanks again.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

quietman7 -- Is this referring to this update?

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB942615)
Typical download size: 1.3 MB , 4 minutes
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system running Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

I didn't see that KB number mentioned in the link, so I wanted to be sure.

I haven't done any of the Windows updates yet (I have XP Home SP2, IE 6.5 -- although I only use IE for Windows Updates, I use Firefox for normal browsing). So should I go ahead and do the rest of the updates but just skip this one for now?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 18 December 2007 - 12:52 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

KB942615: Cumulative Security Update for IE for XP SP2 is for Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-069

The KB number is cited in the Article ID at the top and in Keywords at the bottom in the link I provided.

MS Security Bulletin Summary for December 2007

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

Cool -- thanks!

So if I use Firefox (except for Windows updates), I should be okay without this update for the time being, right?
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:12 AM

MS07-069 Cum. Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue

We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...

Microsoft Security Response Center

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:17 AM

See this information for problems with IE6 after installation of security update 942615 that provides a work-around by means of a registry edit. Members should note the caution included about making registry changes:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627/

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the posts!

Since a lot of this stuff is above my head, I'm hoping you can help me out with figuring out what to do.

As of yet, I have not installed KB942615 (though I have installed the other Windows High Priority Updates).

I read the links you provided.

I am unclear as to whether or not I should install this update or wait until MS fixes it.

1. Will they be fixing it? Or is that registry "fix" the only thing they'll be doing about the issue?

2. Should I wait for a fix or should I just go ahead and install KB942615?

3. It mentioned that the problems have something to do with customized settings. Do you know what these are, so I can know if it applies to me?

4. If I do install it now, should I automatically do the registry "fix" or only if I notice a problem? Would I just go back to Windows Update and see if the webpage loads okay to tell if I have a problem?

Please note: I have XP Home SP2 with IE 6.5 -- but I only use IE for Windows Updates. I use Firefox for all other browsing.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

The reason your unclear is because Microsoft has not provided much specific information about this issue. They are investigating.

Since that is the case, there is no way to determine which system will be affected by applying the update so you have no way of knowing if yours will be affected. If you install the patch and are not affected then you should not be using the fix for a problem you don't have.

Further, Microsoft says:

Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Those who do need to back up the registry before making any changes.

I do not know when or what Microsoft is planning to do. They will probably release information as their investigation warrants and we will try to keep everyone updated.

#12 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

I guess I'll just hold off on installing this update (including on my new laptop this weekend) until MS provides further information, which it sounds like you will provide here when that happens. Thanks for the post.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

Internet Explorer 6 crashes after you install security update 942615

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section...Update 946627 enables hotfix 942367...

#14 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, when used with:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Okay, so that's me... So what does that mean? Am I supposed to install KB942615 and then download the thing on that page? And do what with it?

Or am I better off not downloading KB942615 at all until they actually fix the actual update?

Please advise... Thanks!

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:54 AM

Looks like Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP SP2 (KB946627) is now being offered via Windows Update. I received notification last night which indicated to install this update to resolve crashes in Internet Explorer. It is also available as a manual download.

You can install KB942615 and then install KB946627 to resolve the crashing issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users