Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Problems After Cleaning Registry......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris.wellies

Chris.wellies

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

Hey there i'm new here and its the first time I posted anything so I'm really sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I'm having a problem with my work-pc. Its always connected to the internet, and seeing that 2Gig cap usage is really unusual for a Sunday, I thought it to be Spyware uploading a lot of information. So I was recommended getting Spybot Search and Destroy, and after making a backup of the registry it scanned and fixed (deleted) all the errors, I also scaned for spyware and viruses which it removed. After I reboot the pc though, the sound was out of control, it's making a scratch sound and lagging a lot, I tried to restore the changes made to the registry but no luck, I've tried a lot of programs to repair the registry and clean it, I've tried Super antispyware, CCleaner, and AVG to Clean the whole system, and to be honest the pc never was this fast, but the sound is still crappy. Its like theres something loading in the background making it slower and causing the quality problems, like a frequency and when it gets to the peak it lags and scratches. When the sound gets like that the PC also gets slower. Also, my cursor gets funny sometimes, when two programs run, Winamp and firefox for instance, then my pointer gets stuck in the middle of the screen but you can still activate icons, know it sounds weird, for instance at the bottom of the taskbar when I want to access the icons it gets highlighted showing the mouse is over it, but the pointer is still stuck in the middle of the screen for 5 mins. or so. Thats when the sound gets weird and the pc gets a bit slower too. When nothing is running in the background, no programs, nothing, then my sound is ok.

I'm using Windows XP professional SP2, have a intel core 2 duo 4300, and it's onboard sound, which always worked until now.
I really hope someone can help me here because the boss dont want to format and it seems like something small and stupid that I'm missing here.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:12 AM

Hi Chris.wellies, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

My first instinct would be that some program related to your system's sound is acting funny due to the registry editing. Many sound cards come with extra software that allows you to access special features on the card.

It would help to know the make and model of your PC, i.e. "HP Pavilion 2200" or "Dell Optiplex GX110".

#3 Chris.wellies

Chris.wellies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

Hey there thank you for replying!

I thought so too, so I removed the sound drivers and devices from the device manager and been cleaning up the registry ever since sothat it can "reset" in a way and start fresh, but no luck. Im going to post a Hijack Log, I dont understand that unfortanetely, but maybe you see something that's of interest.

MOD EDIT: See next post for explanation ~ stevealmighty

I have a Asus P5VD2-VM Motherboard, everything is ASUS basically, the sound is SoundMax HD audio.

This might sound silly, I had a look in DxDiag and noticed in the DirectX files that it had a problem with one of the files there called "d3d9d.dll", it says, "The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version," could this have something to do with the sound maybe?

Edited by stevealmighty, 18 December 2007 - 10:52 AM.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hi Chris.wellies! I've edited your post and removed your HJT log for a few reasons. First, keep working in this topic to see if Amazing Andrew (or another member) can't help you sort this out. Second, if that fails, and you still would like to post a HJT log, you'll have to start HERE, and also use an updated version of HJT (version 2.02). Please use this as a last resort though, or if someone (a staff member here) instructs you to post a HJT log then please do so. We discourage having a HJT log posted and receive help elsewhere as it makes properly troubleshooting your PC all that much more difficult.

Please let me know if you've got any questions!

Thanks so much for your cooperation! :thumbsup:

stevealmighty
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

You should be able to find your sound drivers here-
http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us
X

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Go into your Add/Remove Programs and remove all Soundmax programs. I have an Asus board too (Asus generally kicks backside, IMO) with an onboard Soundmax sound card and have had nothing but trouble with the Soundmax software. After removing any SM programs download and install the drivers that CTH_Tom mentions in his post.

It may be worth your while to ditch the onboard sound and get a discrete sound card. I picked up a Sound Blaster card at the Goodwill for like $5 and disabled the onboard sound and haven't looked back!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 18 December 2007 - 06:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users