Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Christmas "scrooged" Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TazzyD

TazzyD

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:37 AM

ok, I downloaded numerous anti spyware and anti-malware programs, many suggested here, like AVG Anti-Spyware, Windows Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE (both of those I've had for at least a couple of years) and have had no problems until last week when I got bombarded with Trojans, Adware, viruses, malware, etc. I have also downloaded CCleaner, SuperAntispware, AFT cleaner, Smitfraudfix, BHOdemon (have not yet used it), Trojan hunter setup (have not yet used this), HijackThis, Combofix(have not yet used it), AVG 7.0 (free trial, latest version, have not yet used it).

For awhile I was not even able to access my control panel and all my restore points were infected and no optional ones to click before the date of the invasion.

Spybot, AVG Antispyware, Windows Defender, and best of all, SuperAntispareware was catching things that others had missed. I use TrendMicro PC Internet security (version 12.4.1015), though at this time I'm not sure how much faith I have in it. I think i could possibly be infected, but am unsure. It was catching Trojans on the fly, but I can't change certain setting in it that stick and I can't run it in safe mode. I have also been using it as my firewall. My husband (who is networked to my computer, is using a second license for Trend Micro for his computer (his is showing no signs of infections).

SuperAntispareware kicked some butt and seems to have stopped the the popups that have been terrozing me. I though I had everything in control earlier this evening...the pop-ups have stopped so far, but the virtumonde things keeps popping up when I scan with Spybot.

Please help me get my computer free of this stuff. At one point I couldn't even access my control panel, but have had it back for a couple days.

What's my next move?

Any help would be much appreciated as my poor computer has been Christmas "scrooged". For 2-3 yrs no problems, now I'm bombarded.
If needed, I have a list of many of the culprits that have been detected using some of these programs.

Please help me as time allows.

TIA, Carol aka TazzyD

edited to add: I'm afraid to hook my nikon camera or insert the cflash cards or hook my ipod to the computer right now as I am uncertain whether they could get infected by some of the malicious crap. Part of my Christmas is to be the Christmas photographer.

Edited by TazzyD, 18 December 2007 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer
Please follow the Instructions in the BC Tutorial and let us know.

How to Remove WinFixer / Virtumonde / Msevents / Trojan.vundo.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TazzyD

TazzyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hello Boopme..

Sorry for the delayed response. I was gone yesterday and last night visiting family. I just got home and ran the vundofix and it found no infected files. Right now I am not having a problem with pop-ups. I seem to have been rid of those for the past 2-3 days. Knock on wood. Should I run the other one, VirtumondoBeGone, to be on the safe side?

Edit to post: I just ran Spybot S & D and it didn't find any type of vundo thing either. Or Virtumonde which is what it was finding before. Sure hope it is over.

Edited by TazzyD, 19 December 2007 - 04:21 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hello again Carol,that's my sisters name.
Anyway as long as it all appears good, no popups, no need to run the other.
But now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 TazzyD

TazzyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Thanks so much, Boopme!! BTW, your sister has a lovely name. :thumbsup:

I very much appreciate your help and will follow your further instructions! You've been a great help. :flowers:

Carol

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

You're welcome and yes she/you do/ does :thumbsup:

Please read this topic also How did I get infected?

Merry Christmas :flowers:

Edited by boopme, 19 December 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#7 TazzyD

TazzyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:47 AM

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. :flowers: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users