Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing An Xp Printer With A Vista Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Torres

Torres

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:49 AM

I have been trying to figure out how to share my Lexmark printer with my Vista laptop. My network is working great. I can read all my shared files and transfer them as well with no problems. I have a desktop that is running XP and this is where the printer is plugged in. I have 2 Vista laptops that I would like to be able to print from but nothing seems to work. When I open the "Network and Sharing" folder, everything is recognized - all computers and even the printer. When I try to add the printer a warning message appears (to use the shared printer\\torres\scribe, you need to install the printer driver on your computer. If you do not recognize or trust the name and location of teh printer, do not install the driver) So I click the "Install driver" button even though i already have installed all necessary Vista compatible drivers. Then an error pops up(Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed. Error 0x000003e3) I have tried adding the printer as a local printer and it doesn't work. Maybe i am doing it wrong. And whenever I try to go to the Chicagotech site it says that i cant connect to their database. If anyone has any info that could help, I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

I have tried adding the printer as a local printer and it doesn't work.

If this doesnt work, you wont have much luck trying to run the printer as a shared connection either, I'm afraid. You should probably try to get a succesful local installation first.
In Vista, when you go to add a printer, is you make/model of printer listed in the list?

About the Chicagotech database, how would you normally connect? http, telnet, other?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

You didn't mention the model number of your Lexmark printer but are you sure they have Vista drivers for it? I was reading in another forum about someone with the same problem that eventually discovered that their Brother printer did not have Vista drivers.

DR

#4 Torres

Torres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

i have been able to view the Chicagotech pages now. I guess it was their server, not me. As for my printer, it is a Lexmark X1290. i have downloaded the driver for it and have been able to print from my Vista laptop when i am plugged directly to it. I just can't do it through the router.

Edited by Torres, 19 December 2007 - 02:26 AM.

#5 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

You do have it shared out on the XP correct?

#6 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:33 PM

I've got a similiar setup: XP on a desktop with printer attached, Vista on laptop. The only difference is my printer is an old Lexmark X83. My printer works fine through the network, even though I couldn't find Vista drivers for it. Try using Windows Explorer on the laptop and see if you can find the printer under the network folder. If it is there, it should work. If not, you have a problem with sharing settings on the desktop. Also make sure that the printer on the laptop is selected as the default printer. Only other thing I can think of is to check and make sure that the printer queue is empty on both printers. It should be if you can print with the printer connected directly to the laptop.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

As I recall (but this was a long time ago) there was a setting somewhere that would cause the printer to use the driver on it's computer (the XP one) rather than the one that was printing (the Vista one). This may get around the compatibility issues with Vista (FWIW - we retired my wife's Z43 printer for this very reason).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 flipit

flipit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

I have 2 Vista and 1XP Machaines. I use NETWORK MAGIC It`s a little slow on responce but works

#9 Mikey6859

Mikey6859

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

I had the same issue with not being able to printer share with my xp desk top and my vista laptop. I also had a Lexmark 1200 series printer. What i did i was on my vista laptop to and then i I went to the lexmark website and clicked on drivers and downloads from the the top drop down menu click on os campatibilty lists choose what version of windows i was using which if not for sure on what version you go to start, computer, systems and maintenance, system at the top it will tell you what windows edition you are running. Then on the lexmark page i click on Vista then consumer injet printers, Found the lexmark series then the model number which mine was the lemark 1200 series, then lexmark x1270 all-in-one then to the right clicked on driver download. from their it was a step by step instructions but the only problem i had was finding out what network name the printer was connected to then finding out how it was listed in the laptop, then finding out what the printer was listed as in the network on the laptop. Just take your time and it will work. I advise any other person's that may have issues along the same lines but with other brands of printers just go to the printers manufactor website and see if that printer is supported for vista. If anyone needs any help i will try to help the best i can just try messaging me i am under the username mikey6859. best of luck mikey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users