Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Some Website Building Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davemo

davemo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hello i need a few questions answered about building a web site.First what i think i understand; I want to use frontpage to build the pages after i build the pages i upload via ftp to my isp web server. Ok here is where i am a little confused on i want to have a forum on my site using phpbb2 now this php is something my web page host has??? same question with the mysql?? they have it on thier server i create and upload files to them???? also what exactly are php and mysql i understand mysql is a database app what exactly does this do? does it keep track of forum posts,members etc. Any info or a website that expalins these in easy terms would be helpful thanks for the replys in advance Also i have downloaded XAMPP and managed to get the install screen for the phpbb2 to come up on my web browser by using the http://local but i want to create the forum and look at it before i upload it if i run the install where does the forum page go??? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:18 AM

Hello davemo,

Often, but not always, a host will provide phpBB and MySQL. Frequently they're out of date, however. You should check with your host as to their availability. Usually the host's own site will detail exactly what you're getting for your money.

To learn more about the applications themselves, I recommend that you visit the phpBB forums. Be sure to take advantage of all the installation documentation, tutorials, and articles in their knowledge base - accessed via their Support tab. Equally helpful are the MySQL forums, which also have documentation, articles, and forum support.

Good luck with your site!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users