Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I get lots of spam email to my email address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

I think I have asked this before. I am getting so much spam email im sick of deleting it all! These fat heads who send it to me I wish they would stop.

Some of the emails say "Your date has been approved with Jenn" Then will say my husband is away for a week so if the first date goes well we will try another.

Come talk to jean and see her body at bla bla website.

I get so many others too. Partsolver and towel direct?? I now have between my two computers almost 200 unread of spam emails and some thats not spam. It takes forver to go through and delete them all.

Ive been told not to hit unsubscribe but sometimes it helps. They say then they know your email is valid. Well they must or they would cease to email me so whats it going to matter to unsubscribe?

Ive even tried to "bounce to sender" but nothing works! Is there any way to block emails from these people? Or not allow them on my server? A auto bounce before they even come on my pc?

Maybe I should just ask my ISP I dont know. I thought id ask one last time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:26 PM

There are usually two places where SPAM filtres can be effective. The most obvious is at your ISP's Mailbox; because how ISPs handle the spam filter vary, I can give no explicit instructions, although their on-line help section generally will provide those.
The second place is at your Email Client on your computer. FF/Mozilla both include teachable Spam filters that you can use to segregate legitimate mail from the gunk.

The best place to stop SPAM is to be extremely careful about your Email Address. It would be a wise step to have one Email Address for friends, family, and trusted people, and a "throwaway" Email address (s) for on-line registrations, Ebay, or other public places. Once these addresses become, as they will, clogged with SPAM, you can simply delete them and create new addresses, beginning the process over again.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:56 AM

Ive been told not to hit unsubscribe but sometimes it helps. They say then they know your email is valid. Well they must or they would cease to email me so whats it going to matter to unsubscribe?

If you click on the un-subscribe link. Yes, then they know that it is a valid e-mail addy. Which then adds more fuel to the fire. Not a good idea to do this.

As jgweed said. It is best to have at least two e-mail addy's. One for legit purposes, family & friends. Then a throwaway one.

www.dodgeit.com has a throwaway e-mail service that can be useful too.

Edited by scarlett, 25 February 2005 - 10:00 AM.

Posted Image

#4 jd957

jd957

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

Some good info on spam and what you can do to report it. Hope this helps with some of the problem.

Spam Report

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:31 PM

UPDATE

I found out myself how to do it. I have this thing with my ISP that I can block emails from these fat heads. I just add there email into the blocked part and there gone.

Thanks for the help. I do be careful but those years when I knew nothing about a pc or the internet I made a mess. My ISP blocks about 300+ spam emails a month....

Thanks ISP!

See you all around everyone

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:32 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

Now that you are being careful about such matters, you might really want to consider changing your email addresses and start over. As readily available as Email addresses are nowadays, having a plan to transition from your current ones to new ones, and having the new ones in some cases as "toss" addresses, would most likely reduce your problem.
One note of caution about SPAM filtres. In some cases, the filtres can act on "false positives" and dump legitimate mail into your Junk folder, mail which you very well want to receive. Avoid any option that automatically deletes Email considered SPAM; that way you can quickly review the folder before deleting messages.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users