Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd-rom

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lazlopitt

lazlopitt

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

Suddenly my computer won't recognise the cd-rom. Is the cd-rom faulty or is it maybe a setting I need to adjust? Sorry to post such a goofy question. But I'm pissed. Trying to burn a new cd and it says "no disc in tray" or something like that....Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Will the tray open?
All that mans is that it is getting power

Does Device manager see it?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

What software says...this?

Does the burner show up in My Computer, the BIOS, and Disk Management?

Check Event Viewer for errors on said drive? It usually notes when something is wrong with any drive.

"Suddenly"...how suddenly?

Louis

#4 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

It's a Lite-on cd burner with Nero software. When I get the music installed and press burn it tells me there is no disc in tray. I also put a factory cd in and it still showed no disc in tray. So it's not the blank cd. I haven't checked the device manager. but I will

#5 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:31 PM

Ok, I checked and there is no cd-rom in My computer. WTF? Help...Thanks

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

it may have died but you could check this

http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about4719.html

or this

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

Before you start messing with the registry, try something really simple. This most likely won't solve the issue of no disk in the drive, but it might make it show up in My Computer.

(This is for XP)

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager. (there is an easier way to get there, but I cannot recall what it is)

In device manager, DVD-CD rom drives.
Highlight your drive.
Look for an icon of a computer with X on it. Uninstall the device.
Reboot your computer. It *should* see it on reboot.

(hopefully you'll see the drive listed in device manager)

#8 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

Ok, Here is where I'm at. I restarted the computer twice and the cd-burner is now in My Computer. But it is not listed in the device manager. I went to Local disc © and clicked on properties/ Hardware. It is listed there. I highlighted it and clicked on properties. I clicked update driver and it told me that the driver I have is the current driver. It also says that the device is working properly. So it seems to me that the device is working but the device manager is not recognizing it. What should I do now? Is there a way to manually add a device to the device manager? Should I unplug the cd-burner and plug it back in see if the computer will re-install it? Thanks for all the replies.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

it's not listed under dvd/cd-rom drives? in device manager?

does nero see it? under choose recorder?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:42 PM

In device manager, is there something called (or similar to) Unknown Devices? If so, see if it's listed there.

If not, you may have to disconnect it. Turn off the computer, disconnect, reboot.
After it boots up, turn it off again, reconnect.

#11 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

Maybe the cable connecting it to the motherboard is faulty or a pin is broken. If you cant fix the problem, then it would probably best to buy a new CD Burner or probably even better a DVD burner, CD Burners are not that expernsive only about $30 - $40 and DVD Burners are about $60 upwards. Good luck fixing the problem! :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

Did you ever check Event Viewer for error messages about the drive?

If it's dead, there's probably a message re a controller error on that drive.

AFAIK, the only reason items don't show in Device Manager is because they are not reflected in the BIOS...and the only reason they don't show in the BIOS is because something is defective in the hardware/connection.

There is no disk diagnostic for optical drives, what you see (or fail to see) is what you get.

Louis

#13 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Well, Late last night after reading all the replies I got to my post, I finally found it in the device manager at the bottom labeled "unknown". When I opened it up it was my Lite-on cd burner. I clicked on properties and went ahead and tried to update the driver. It did something, some little blip. So I closed it, restarted the computer, and there it was in the device manager under cd/dvd drives. Go figure. So I tried to burn the cd again and bingo, no problem. So, What the hell?? How did it get messed up in the first place. I've burned a million cds and used that cd-rom even more and never a problem. My fear is: Is this the beginning of it dying or just some isolated fluke? Anyway, thanks for all the tips, and in case I never said it: This is a great site.

#14 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

Glad to see the problem is fixed, it would be hard to find out what actually caused it in the first place but with CD Burners at the price they are now, if there is another problem with it you cant fix, best to get a new one. Also, for this situation I dont think you should spend time working out what caused it, just remember how to fix it in future if it happens again, and your all set! Anywayonce again, glad to see it's fixed! :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

Glad it's solved (for the moment), but I would still check Event Viewer for errors re that drive. You would then have a better indication of whether it's time to have a replacement handy.

Could have been a loose connection, it's hard to speculate.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users