Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

It never fails me to, somehow I forget that the internet exist and come directly to BC with my probnlem, please except my apologees, as I need to break the habit and do a little Internet investigating before I post such common problems.

If you happen to have an answer for the following, I won't mind it if you post it, I have just returned from the internet and
there seems to be a good start on answers for this question.

I recently restored my Windows Internet Explorer, and have noticed that things are working a little different, since at this time I am trying to solve a problem with the program needs to close, this has beem happening a little to often and am trying to track down the source, and am checking some driver dependency explanations.

However, my history seems only to record Todays history, which can be a problem when the day changes and I have to close so I loose all my prior history, is there something I'm missing concerning the settings or set-up for this ?

BTW

I found this here( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 )

Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Microsoft Windows Vista have many security enhancements that make Internet Explorer 7 less susceptible to spyware and to malware. Typically, badly written add-ons can affect the browsing experience in Internet Explorer 7. RIES enables Internet Explorer 7 to recover from such situations.

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.
Note If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

RIES restores the default settings of the following features: • Home pages
• Search scopes
• Browsing history
• Form data
• Passwords
• Appearance settings
• Toolbars
• ActiveX controls

But I can not find it where this says I should ?

Edited by Jove, 17 December 2007 - 07:52 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

Does anyone here know anything about this file >gpedit.msc<

This is in reference to restoreing some of the adons that are removed when resetting Windows Internet Explorer.

Reference; ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 )

Workaround

You can enable a policy setting to reapply any policies that you first applied through Internet Explorer Maintenance Extension. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Log on to the computer as a local administrator.
2. Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
3. In the left pane, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, and then click Group Policy.
4. In the right pane, double-click Internet Explorer Maintenance policy processing.
5. Click Enabled, click Apply, and then click OK.
After you enable this policy setting, any policies that are set through Internet Explorer Maintenance Extension are refreshed when the Group Policy object (GPO) is updated.

When I try this I get the following message ;

Windows Cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To seasrch for a file click the Start button etc.

I have tried Search to locate this I can not find it .

Edited by Jove, 17 December 2007 - 11:30 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

Have you checked to see how many days IE is set to keep your history?

At the top of this page, Tools/Internet Options/General tab.

Under Browsing History, settings. If a box comes up asking about disk space, click cancel.
At the bottom of settings you will see how long it's set to keep history.
If needed, you can re-set the number of days.
Click OK to save the change.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:34 AM

Does anyone here know anything about this file >gpedit.msc<

Hi Jove,

I'll bet you're on Vista, right? Turns out we don't have gpedit, and it's making me crazy! Apparently only the top-level administrator can change group policy. Unfortunately, when I've logged into that account, I haven't been able to make the changes I want. Believe it or not, I can't even change the wallpaper on my desktop (well, the admin can, but only for that account's wallpaper)!

So, I'll be eager to learn if you find out anything about how to work with this apparently nonexistent file. :thumbsup:

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

Queen-Evie,
Thanks !
I have tried this and it is set to 10 days, but it is still only showing today.

Dialer, Thanks but I don't have any information on gpedit, and I have WXP2.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users