Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Clancy141

Clancy141

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:43 PM

Hi, I recently purchased a new Kaser 8gb minivault:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...0244"]Link

However, I have had some problems. When I first plugged it into my usb port, Windows seemed to install it properly and said it was ready for use. But when I clicked on the drive when it appeared in My Computer, I received the message "Please insert a disk into drive G:".

Other times, I plug it in and hear the sound of Windows detecting it, but it does not appear in My Computer.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

Is it formatted?

You say that it appeared in My Computer...and then you say it did not appear.

XP won't see an unformatted drive, at least...not in My Computer.

What other drives/partitions exist on this system?

Louis

#3 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:15 AM

I don't know if it is formatted. When I right click the drive, and select "format", it says:

"There is no disk in drive G. Insert a disk, and then try again".

I have a DVD drive, DVD burner, floppy, Hardrive, and emulated drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

Does the drive show up in Computer Management/Disk Management?

Take a look...it will reflect the status.

Louis

#5 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

It does not appear in the top window of disk management, where the harddrive is located. It is only listed in the bottom part, where you can view your other drives (cd, dvd, etc...). When I right click on that entry, I can only change the drive letter/path, and see properties.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

Sounds to me like that drive needs formatting :thumbsup:.

Does the bottom portion of DM reflect any partition on that drive?

Try (temporarily) changing the drive letter to Z: and see if that changes your right-click options.

Louis

#7 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

No, it doesn't show a partition, it's as if Windows is treating it as a disk drive, similar to my DVD drive.

I changed it to Z, no change in options.

#8 Bubba308

Bubba308

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

We bought 25 of these things to give as corporate gifts and we have had the exact same problem with all of them. Kaser tech support has asked me to send them in.

#9 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

Wow, so I guess you are still waiting for an explanation?

#10 Bubba308

Bubba308

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

They gave no explanation from Kaser. We're going to return the units instead to get our money back rather than try our chances with Kaser (they gave me no comfort that i wouldn't just be sending them in never to hear from them again).

#11 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:25 PM

Good choice, I exchanged mine for another one of the same make and model and received the very same error; clearly they rushed the product to market without testing it.

#12 Rena17

Rena17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

I am just wondering if anyone, anywhere in the world has gotten one of these drives to work? ideally with Windows XP Pro, but I'll settle for knowing what OS might work.

Mine is the Kaser 8GB minivault. Just because I have seen a lot of confusion in other discussions, I want to clarify that it is not a flash drive but a 1" hard drive in USB clothing. I have exchanged mine as well and had the same experience with both. The drive is PnP recognized ("Cornice Dragon USB Device"), but it is recognized as an empty drive with no media. Thus it cannot be partitioned or formatted. Disk Management says no media present; PartitionMagic doesn't see it, trying to format gets an "insert disk" prompt. Basically, every tool I have tried just blinks at me.

I'm stubborn :-) and curious. Also, patient.

#13 Hero_Raymond

Hero_Raymond

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

I would like to say that I had one that worked. For approx. 5 days, I used mine to take music to a work computer, not even getting close to the max capacity of 8 GB. In the meantime, I attached it to my keyring, as it had one of those nice little... hook things, I suppose.

Then I lost the data on it. It wasn't the same error that has been a problem here, it was only that I had unplugged it accidently without safely removing it. When I plugged it into another computer, it read very slowly, taking minutes to open a folder, or just randomly crashing. After messing with it and trying to retrieve some data, I had to format the disk, but it taught me that I needed to be more cautious with it than with a regular Flash memory drive.

6 days after that, the drive encountered the problem that is here. When you initially plug it in, it spins as always but also makes a clicking noise that I hadn't noticed in normal operation. Actually, it made a similar click when I had to format it. This time, The computer recognised the device, but believes it has no memory in it: basically, it is a blank disk. But my computer still recognizes it as a hard disk, and not a media drive as for CDs. Windows will not try to correct any read error because it says there is nothing there.

I have some theories about why this happens, starting with the most unlikely.

1. There is a problem with the USB connection. Namely, I don't like how it plugs into a USB Port. All it's weight pulls down on it, and makes me anxious that it may break a connection internally. I, like some of you, may have got it on sale (Mine was a two pack for 55$. I thought it was a steal). Therefore, I figured it could just be badly put together.

What is more likely is:

2. Some trauma happened to the disk. The microdrive page on Wikipedia is not very reasuring on this. It says that "A microdrive will generally not survive a 4 foot (1.2 metres) drop onto a hard surface". Who knows what can mess it up, especially when you travel with it as I have been doing. I mean just swinging while dangling off my keys could have thrown it off.

I do have another one left, and at 55$ for 8GB it is still a good deal. It reads, although I have not put any files on it yet. It's past the return date for both of them at the store, but I may send Kaser the broken one.

#14 paxman356

paxman356

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

I just bought one today at the local Fry's. I saw that it was a 1" hard-drive, and that sent warning bells off in my head, but at 8GB for $30, I couldn't resist. It worked out of the box, in XP Pro SP2 not hooked up to the internet, and Vista SP1 hooked up to the internet. Big question is, how long will my luck last?

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Make sure whatever you put on it is also backed up somewhere else
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users