Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.win.32.linkreplacer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

Hello! I got a pop up saying: "System error: computer was hijacked by Trojan.win.32.LinkReplacer. It's dangerous for your system, some files can be lost and your browser can be slow. Click OK to download the antispyware program to clean your computer! (recommended)"

What should I do?
I tried running Ad-Aware 2007,the free version,and it did not show anything except the cookies on my computer, I also ran Windows Defender and it came up with nothing as well. I also ran the McAfee anti spyware scan on my computer and that too came up with nothing. I have not tried Spybot yet. I am going to run them again to see what happens. Then I will check back later.

I ran Spybot and that did not even show anything except the cookies. What is going on? Is it a false possitive or is it a real threat? Are there any legit programs out there that can detect this and then erradicate it? Is this and adware program pop-up? Or could this be a scam? I did notice a slow down in my computer's performance.

Any help will be appreciated.

I read in another post on here, that someone had clicked to download the antispyware program, that is mentioned in the error message, and that it is a waste of time and energy to try it. All of my scans have come up with nothing so far, My operating system is Windows Vista, I ran the scans logged in as an administator. I do not know what else to do!

Edited by Groffeaston, 17 December 2007 - 11:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users