Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 neths45

neths45

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

Hi

My daughters desktop (Compaq presario, approx 4 yrs old) will not boot - just keeps going round in loops after the Windows screen.

I've tried starting it in safe mode, but an error message appears saying we need to contact customer care - code purple (sounds ominous)

I've done a system recovery but that didn't work either.

On selecting "Last good known configuration" from safe mode, it comes up with the message; "Windows would not start because the following file is missing or corrupt" - \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

And the icing on the cake is that she doesn't have the set-up cd.

About the only thing I tell is that if it did boot, it would be running on SP1

Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hi there neths45, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

That nasty "code purple" is a booby trap laid by the evil and stupid Hewlett Packard Corp. (makers of Compaq).

What they have done is mark the motherboard with a digital "tattoo" which corresponds to a matching digital checksum hidden deep within your system. Changes to the system (i.e. replacing the motherboard, modem, hard drive, etc.) can result in this "tattoo" being changed or removed. In which case you get that stupid "Code Purple".

There is a way to fix it, but I must consult with the powers that be. It could be considered against the rules here as it could be construed as circumventing a copy protection or some such. I'll have to get back to you on that.

#3 neths45

neths45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Andrew

I very much doubt that my daughters would've tried to change anything that you listed - way beyond them.

neths45

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

Unfortunately sometimes a 1 gets switched to a 0 by cosmic radiation or some such; these things sometimes just go nuts.

I'm awaiting a ruling by the admins about the rule against breaking copy protections with regard to this. Will keep you apprised.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

Okay, the powers that be have given their blessing, so here's the secret way to kill the Purple One.

You will need a LiveCD which can write to NTFS. Either The Ultimate Boot CD or The Ultimate Boot CD For Windows are excellent choices, however the ultimate Boot CD for Windows (my preference) requires quite a bit more work plus a Windows XP install disk to build.

You can also use PuppyLinux, which is really rather neat.

Boot from your LiveCD and access your C: drive. navigate to C:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\ and open cfgchk.bat. Delete all the stuff inside of cfgchk.bat and save it.

Now reboot as normal and the Purple demon should be vanquished.

If there's anything you need to be explained in more detail, please ask.

Also post back if the darned thing still wont boot.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 17 December 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#6 neths45

neths45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:56 PM

Andrew

Have written to a cd and am trying it on the desktop. It comes up with command prompts starting with [b][DR-DOS] C:\> and I've tried typing in the command you gave me, but it's not recognised. Nor does any other variation I've put in.

What am I doing wrong?????

neths45

Not the [b]...............!!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

Which CD did you create?

#8 neths45

neths45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

7z ubcd40 - I must admit, didn't really know which one to go for.....

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

Do you mean the once at this URL: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download/ubcd40b1.7z ?

If so, did you decompress the 7z archive first?

#10 neths45

neths45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:46 AM

I took the first one from this page - http://www.pcinfo4u.net/ubcddls.asp - just saved it and then saved it to disc.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

Ah, I think I see the problem then. You need to follow the instructions here: http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm to build the CD image. Then burn the image to a CD using a program that can handle ISO files (there are a ton of them, I like Alex Feinman's free ISO Recorder.

PS
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you; holidays got in the way!

#12 neths45

neths45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:52 AM

Andrew

Sorry for taking so long to come back, but that thing called "work" got in the way......

Anyway, I've had a quick look at the links you posted, and while it looks very complicated,the main worry is regarding the XP cd. The desktop I'm trying to fix doesnt have the one (ie the children cant find it) it came with. So, with this in mind, how do I overcome this hurdle? Will any xp cd do (ie the one that came with this laptop), or are they machine specific?

I guess, thinking about things, this is quite a major inconvenience.....

btw - Happy New Year

Neths

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users