Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Issues With Newest Batch Of Windows Updates?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

I have XP Home SP2. I have IE 6.5, but *only* use Firefox for browsing (and only use IE to do Windows Updates).

These are the updates that came up for me this month at Windows Updates:

Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Typical download size: 103 KB , 1 minute
Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2007 and 2008 due to revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Update for Windows XP (KB942840)
Typical download size: 182 KB , 1 minute
Install this update to increase the performance of web sites that use Ajax. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB941568)
Typical download size: 246 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in Microsoft DirectShow that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
Download size: 2.1 MB , 6 minutes
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system using Windows Media file formats and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB942615)
Typical download size: 1.3 MB , 4 minutes
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system running Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653)
Typical download size: 118 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the Macrovision Driver that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

1. Anybody have any issues with these?

2. I thought there had already been an update like KB942763 having to do with daylight savings time last month? Why another one? (When doing a Google search, I read that some people had an issue with this update...?)

3. Regarding KB942615, I've seen that a lot of people are having issues with this (searched on Google) and had to ultimately remove it (though those people use IE for browsing and not Firefox). Should I install this update anyways? Anybody have issues with it?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 17 December 2007 - 02:38 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Because I rarely use my wife's computer I have it set to auto-update and she doesn't have any problems. I haven't updated in a couple of weeks
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

The updates have caused me no trouble.

I don't have IE6 anymore, rather IE7 (but I, like you, use Firefox exclusively) so I didn't get any updates for IE6.

As for the Daylight Savings time update, I'm not sure. I know that I got that one too this month. The only previous daylight savings update I can remember is one for Australian DST that MS kept trying to shovel into my computer (even though I'm several thousand miles from Australia).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

I have all updates and no problems. I use IE 7.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2007 - 08:14 PM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

See this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/121545/internet-explorer-crippled-by-microsoft-patch/

I would hold off installing this one update until the situation is clarified.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

See this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/121545/internet-explorer-crippled-by-microsoft-patch/

I would hold off installing this one update until the situation is clarified.

John -- What update is this referring to in particular? I can't tell for sure. Is it KB942615?

And if so, then the rest are okay to install?

Please let me know -- thanks!

And thanks for the posts, everyone.

:thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#7 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

John -- What update is this referring to in particular? I can't tell for sure. Is it KB942615?

Yes that is KB942615.
I haven't had any issues with this month's updates as well.
X

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

All clear here too. Haven't seen any issues with my workplace either (2000 workstations)

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#9 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't done any of the Windows updates yet (I have XP Home SP2, IE 6.5 -- although I only use IE for Windows Updates, I use Firefox for normal browsing). So should I go ahead and do the rest of the updates but just skip KB942615 one for now? Since I use Firefox, am I okay without it for the time being?

#10 73VW1800

73VW1800

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

I had IE shutting down at no provocation. Event viewer said that IE was taking exception at urlmon.dll. Found a urlmon.dll Version 6.0 2900 3231 that was delivered 12/13/07 with a SoftwareDistribution\Download\lotsonumbers\sp2GDR or something. I deleted it. IE is now behaving.
Colin? I am a newbie bordering on ignorant

Edited by 73VW1800, 20 December 2007 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users