Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

se.dll info

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerryc

jerryc

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:22 PM

I got the se.dll thing and have posted a HJT over there. I just got a msg from Panda about this. I had submitted it when P found it in an online scan. P says it's a new malware and that they will have a fix available in their online scan shortly.
They say that it's a type of Adware/search.exe; here's more.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Common name: SearchExe

Technical name: Adware/SearchExe

Threat level: Low

Alias: SrchEnh

Type: Spyware

Subtype: Adware

Effects: It collects information on Internet usage and the applications installed in the computer and uses it to display pop-up advertisements.

Affected platforms: Windows XP/2000/NT/ME/98/95

First appeared on: July 5, 2004

In circulation? No

Brief Description

SearchExe is adware.
Adware is a license form for using programs, which offers the application at the only cost of viewing a series of advertisements. However, these programs sometimes collect data on Internet usage habits, pages viewed, inventory of the applications installed in the computer, etc.
Then, this information can be sent to Internet advertising companies.
--------------------------------------------------
P also supplied this link to repair directions. http://www.pandasoftware.com/support/card....d=18&IdIdioma=2
If I am reading it correctly it says to turn off system restore, turn it back on, and then do a scan. Well, actually that is what it says and it doesn't make sense to me. You'd turn off restore, scan, and then turn it back on, right?

Anyway, I thought this might belong here as I've seen several posts lately about se.dll.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

Hi jerryc,
Thanks for the info. First I want people to know that there is nothing specific to this particular malware in the link you provided. That is just standard procedure for removing any malware by running an anti-virus scan.

Just about any antivrus vendor will have you turn off System Restore (SR) first. They do this because automatic virus scanning and removal can't remove the files backedup in SR. You aren't in any danger from those files unless you restore your system to an infected restore point, but the scanner will detect them and most people will worry that they are still infected, even tho the active infection has been removed. Turning SR off and then back on again will delete all Restore points, so if you do that before doing a scan, then that potential for confusion is eliminated.

That's fine for automated removers. But manual removal that is done by way of HijackThis and other specialized tools involves a bit more risk, so it is better to have SR to fall back on if something goes wrong. The infected restore points can be purged after you are cleaned up.

Regarding se.dll. I hope Panda will be able to remove it. FYI it is just a new variation of the About: Blank version of Coolwebsearch. IMO you are better off using HijackThis and other special tools with the guidance of a good helper in order to get CWS removed most effectively. Many times AV's and other automatic removers will leave some elements or effects of the infection on the system. I wouldn't offer Panda as a panacea until it has been tested by our malware removal experts.

Thanks again for the info. Anything that goes toward getting this kind of bleep removed helps. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users