Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Do Repair Install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ironchef j

ironchef j

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

Hi, i'm running Windows XP home version on my laptop which was recently infected with a virus. I was working with Symantec's security team to clean the computer but was told that my rundll32.exe is corrupted and i need to do a repair installion of windows in order to proceed. Somehow i have managed to commit the unforgivable sin: i misplaced my windows xp cd and documentaton (yeah, yeah, i now, good one, ironchef) and am wondering if there is any way of resolving this problem without buying another copy of windows xp and starting over from scratch. Cheers - J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

If you have a valid key...you can either borrow (temporary) or have someone burn you a copy of their XP CD (exactly the same, Home for Home, Pro for Pro) and use that to do the install. Not sure this works for volume licensed systems, but I'm pretty sure that it does.

You cannot use an original or SP1 version to do a repair of any system that was/is already at SP2 level. But you can do a clean install with those.

It's the key that is...key :thumbsup:, not the CD.

Louis

#3 ironchef j

ironchef j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:18 PM

key is on a sticker on the bottom of the computer, thank science that someone idiot proofed that for me, workin' on gettin' a loaner cd from a friend, thanks so much for the info.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

to do a repair install you will have to boot to the cd, and then after repairing redownload windows updates

good luck, repair installs don't seem to work as well as they used to
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 ironchef j

ironchef j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, i had a pretty bad virus, i see a full reformatting looming in the not too distant future but wanna' try the repair first. Should i backup music and documents before the repair install?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

Assuming that you do the repair properly, there should be no need to back up anything (but, of course, things don't always go as planned).

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Louis

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

Repair installs usually don't make the system worse, sometimes that's all that's needed, but often they are a waste of time.

Often a repair install fixes it well enough to recover data.

Edited by DaChew, 17 December 2007 - 03:16 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

If I remember right, You should uninstall I.E. 7 first or you'll have problems with it after the reinstall
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 ironchef j

ironchef j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

Have ie 7, so that should be no prob, i don't suppose theres a download of the installation cd somewhere? harder to track down the disc than i thought it would be, none of my friends can find theirs either, seems i'm not teh only noob... say, if someone coped the cd image into a folder, could it be sent through aim? i got a friend that i KNOW has his disc handy and that could be a solution.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

If you have a undamaged I386 folder and rundll32.exe is in it , you can try sfc/scannow. It's worth a try
http://ask-leo.com/ 1
http://ask-leo.com/ 2
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 18 December 2007 - 12:12 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 ironchef j

ironchef j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

sfc/scannow won't run, rundll32.exe is specifically the corrupted file that needs repair is what i was told by the symantec tech, she dragged it out onto the desktop for some reason, not sure f there's a copy in the proper folder or not. at the moment, almost nothing i've tried to run will run, but i've not tried to run much of anything on it since the tech got done with it, so i'm leaving it alone till i can get that disk. thanks for your help and the link though, useful info. for when i DO get the box up and running again.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,103 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Let us know how it goes or if you have problems/questions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users