Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Links Not Working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

Hi

I am using IE7 (and sometimes Firefox) on a WinXP PC with a reliable broadband connection. I have AVG Free, Spyware Blaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware and Comodo firewall installed. My router also has its own firewall but it is on its default configuration. I've also got an updated HOSTS file and over time have made numerous small tweaks to my browsers' privacy settings for things like cookies.

I have always protected my PC before using the internet as you can see. I have just recently joined awebsite interested in getting into comping. However, a number of the links that I click on directly from this site do not open. I am given a Google message saying "This link appears to be broken" and some similar search suggestions are given. I get the same response in IE7 and in Firefox and in a few cases it has happened to me on websites that I know and do work.

Sometimes I notice the links which don't work are rerouted via some ad company. Other times it is the website itself. I would like some help to rectify this. I would like either to reduce the level of security I have setup somewhere on my PC to allow the desired websites to open, or more ideally I would prefer some way that I could bypass any protocol to allow certain links to open (e.g. holding CTRL/SHIFT while clicking).

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

What's the site so I can try it?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users