Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultimate Cleaner Infection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 airturbine

airturbine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

i am having the same problem, and when i tried to follow the instructions it will not let me install anything i try and download (smitfraudfix, etc...) i ran hijacker, but the log file that it save will not open just like evrything else that gets downloaded....please help

Mod Edit: Topic Split From "Can't Unlock Ie Shield After Ucleaner Infection"~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 17 December 2007 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

Are these the instructions you were following: How to remove Ultimate Cleaner?

SmitFraudFix does not require installation. You just double-click on to start the tool. If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move smitfraudFix.exe to the root of the system drive (usually C:\) and run it from there.

i ran hijacker, but the log file that it save will not open

I suspect you are referring to HijackThis here. Can you be more specific as to "will not open"? Are you getting any error messages? Did you save the log as hijackthis.log?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 airturbine

airturbine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

yes those were the instructions.....

I tried moving smit...exe to the C:\ drive and I get the same error (even after mutliple downloads):

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I get the same error when I try to open the hijackthis.log.... i get that same error when I try to open any program that I want to instal or that is already installed!!!

at a loss here???

Edited by airturbine, 17 December 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

I have not seen that error associated with your issue. When doing a search on the net for This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect, you will find a lot of complaints with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another. Usually, this error is related to a problem with the Visual Studio manifest file. Try re-installing the Micorosoft VC++ runtime library files and see if that helps.

#5 airturbine

airturbine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

no luck I get the same error when trying to install it "this application......"
I can't seem to do anything, i can't even burn files to a cd to backup and wipe everything out....

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

I'm not sure about that error message but from what you describe it appears you are unable to run .exe files.

The first thing to try is to check your file association for .exe files. Open the "File Types" dialog box in Windows Explorer or My Computer. Go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab. Scroll down to where .EXE would be in the alphabetical order and make certain .EXE is not there (if it is, then edit it there by changing the association to Application). Finally, select the New button, type in EXE for the extension and select the Advanced button. From the list pick "Application." Also see Changing File Associations in XP.

If that does not work, you can download and use xp_fileassoc.zip by Doug Knox.
  • Extract (unzip) it to your desktop.
  • Double click on xp_fileassoc.bat to run and follow the prompts.
  • Reboot and check if you can run an .exe program.

#7 chazlink

chazlink

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

First of all I am not a computer expert and don't do this for a living. I jsut know enough to get by. My neighbor suggested your website to help with viruses. Our office computer was infected with "Ultimate Cleaner" and then just today, "SpyShredder". Your instructions help a whole lot. Although the disk cleanup did not completely go through. Also I had to remove restrictions from the registry with rrt.exe (my neighbor provided to me)...then I went to the DOS prompt to really remove the whole folders. Took time for me to remember this little commands.

Thank you so very much grinler. This website is awesome!!!!!

Baileych

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users