Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix The Vista Bootloader After Installing Xp

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

Conventional wisdom states that in order to dual boot two versions of Windows, the oldest version must be installed first otherwise only the last version installed will be bootable.

Microsoft exacerbated this by totally revamping the way boot settings are stored and edited in Windows Vista. Instead of an easily edited text file (boot.ini) users must edit the boot settings from a command line tool. And, of course, that tool doesn't work in Windows XP.

So what are people to do if they wish to set up a dual boot with Vista and XP if their computer already has Vista installed? One option is to wipe the drive and do everything from scratch. This, however, may not be a viable solution with OEM versions of Windows Vista which may not give the user the necessary options while installing (or may wipe out the drive while 'repairing' the OEM installation).

Enter a nifty bit of programming called VistaBootPro.

Among other things, it allows users to edit the Vista Boot configuration from within XP.

So, simply boot into Vista, repartition your drive, reboot with your XP disk, install XP, boot into XP, and run the VistaBootPro program.

I threw together a short tutorial for a client of mine, and I'd like to share it with the internet people. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users